You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 09, 2020 3:25 pm

houston
Active

The thinking has changed

Did Sweden get it right from the beginning?
Do experts, authorities and politicians have any clue?
Seems to boil down to who funds WHO.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/conrad … ving-again

#2 May 09, 2020 5:06 pm

Expat
Active

Re: The thinking has changed

Oh just jump on a full train and take your chances.

Like I said to Slice, for almost any other cause you would scream blue murder if one person was killed unnecessarily, there would be court cases and money flying out the window.

The oh its over there, or it'll not get me so I'm alright, devil take the hindmost, screw everyone else as long as it's not me. Then your Aunty or your sister, or even child dies or is seriously ill from a virus that could have been contained by sensible actions, and oh dear, I wish I had known.

And while you are screwing yer family you may be taking out some other first line person when you contaminate them while they try to serve or help you. Like that jerk off that fled Grenada via Canada to get to Britain, not giving a shit who he might have given it to along the way.

Yet here you are condemning hundreds if not thousands to death through wimpish selfish stupidity... JMHO.

If Italy had not acted maybe the entire North of Italy would have been a ghost town. Or at least the smug 80% would be alright, and the others would be dead leaving space for housing, and letting kids get their inheritance more quickly.

Last edited by Expat (May 09, 2020 5:13 pm)

#3 May 09, 2020 7:25 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

According to this, Sweden's economy is getting hit as hard as the others.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/30/coronav … urope.html

Furthermore, Sweden is paying a hefty price.

Opera-Snapshot-2020-05-09-182416-ourworldindata-org.png

#4 May 09, 2020 7:33 pm

houston
Active

Interesting. I've read the opposite but what to believe or not to believe in this world of news is a moving target on a daily basis.

#5 May 10, 2020 4:54 pm

houston
Active

RD, any idea why the Swedish economy would be getting hit hard when all business remained open?
Also wonder if Sweden has weathered the storm and has now a population of that magic 70% immunity.
Could the neighbouring countries of Denmark, Finland and Norway be in for an awakening?

#6 May 10, 2020 8:10 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

One reason is that they have a large tourism industry which has dropped to near zero.  The other reason is they have a high death rate and you can keep restaurants, bars and theaters open but that won't make people go.  A pandemic isn't good for the economy no matter what you do.

The deaths in Sweden could plummet if they get to herd immunity.  Of course if they find a treatment or create a vaccine, Sweden will have made a huge mistake by front loading their deaths.

Board footer