You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 22, 2020 10:52 pm

Expat
Active

Keeping the lid on may start to get resistance

I have been pretty supportive of the measures utilised by our Government. Apart for the unknown source of our last flurry they have kept the lid on things pretty well.

OK, I think the initial 1/2 day shopping was bloody stupid, it was a disaster waiting to happen, but when they moved it out to 3 days, and finally 7 days for shopping, very few problems.

I still support the likes of Churches, and other high patronage premises being kept closed, although if measures can be put in place to prevent bunching, most venues could be opened up. Once we are deemed case free, then Churches etc should be back to normal as well.

But where we stand at the moment, with only 4 quarantined cases we really should be looking to greater normalisation. Even though we keep masks for a week or so, if there are no new outbreaks, and even though a person might become asymptomatic, it wont take too long before they infect somebody, and we know to exercise greater caution again if needs be.

There SHOULD be a conversation going on where we are told Grenada as a self contained unit can just go about our business as before. Maybe in a week or two weeks time. Just to let any unexpected cases come to the surface.

Inter Island travel to those that have a clear score card should resume.

We should be given the hope that as long as people from infected areas either cannot come in or as other countries are doing, are isolated for at least 14 days, and track and traced there after for a short period, we should be getting ready to move on.

To put it another way 109,000 people are under curfew for 4 individuals who are not mixing with the public.... With an illness that while more sneaky than the common flue, would still not have killed anywhere near as many people if most of the Western countries had worried less about flattening the curve, and just acted instead of shilly shallying. China had to figure it out, and took too long to issue warnings, but lets be fair had that been Trumps America we would still be waiting for a warning, as Trump would be more worried about the up coming elections than letting the cat out of the bag.

Although this is a nasty virus, if it had been managed more efficiently and some really dumb advice not been put out by the CDC, WHO, and several countries health experts, we would still have had deaths no doubt, but far far fewer than they did, and probably no worse than flue's we already deal with.

It's still a long long way from the Spanish flue death rate, and I doubt even though Africa and South America are coming on stream, I do not think it is going to go beyond 3 million deaths even with sundry refugee camps like the ones from Yemen, and those refugees from Myanmar in Bangladesh.

Last edited by Expat (May 22, 2020 11:10 pm)

#2 May 23, 2020 8:06 am

Slice
Active

Re: Keeping the lid on may start to get resistance

So, you guys are the math wizard.  In America they say .4% gets killed from the virus, and 35% are asymptomatic. Put those two numbers in you pipe  and smoke it. Ah almost forgot, not ah number, but after ah buy all these Clorox wipes and Lysol ah buy, having to get up early for ah week to get there early, now the CDC is saying, it is highly that you can catch that virus from touch.

One more if Trump is taking that drug as he say he is, then I am the PM of Grenada.  Trump is not telling the truth he is lying his ass off.

Last edited by Slice (May 23, 2020 8:23 am)

#3 May 23, 2020 10:14 am

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

So, you guys are the math wizard.  In America they say .4% gets killed from the virus, and 35% are asymptomatic. Put those two numbers in you pipe  and smoke it. Ah almost forgot, not ah number, but after ah buy all these Clorox wipes and Lysol ah buy, having to get up early for ah week to get there early, now the CDC is saying, it is highly that you can catch that virus from touch.

One more if Trump is taking that drug as he say he is, then I am the PM of Grenada.  Trump is not telling the truth he is lying his ass off.

I think the number you have to work on is the 96,000 DEAD specifically from Covid, and probably.... my estimate ....20,000 more from unattended heart attacks, strokes, conditions not treated because of avoiding hospitals and doctors etc. Add in suicides, destroyed marriages, collapsed mom and pop businesses, and the demise of the retail industry, airlines folding left right and centre and it is an almighty mess.

So from Covid alone 3750 per million.  Dividing 96000 into 360000000, if that sum is right?

If you do the same sum for Grenada at the moment the sum ends 0.

I find it interesting that Humans can be wiped off the face of the planet unnecessarily and for convenience they become oh just 96,000. I think it is the over there syndrome, where as long as it is someone else's family member that died it doesn't really count.

#4 May 23, 2020 12:32 pm

Slice
Active

There is only one person to blame for the 130.000 that will be killed in America, and that is Donald Trump.  Now despite the New York efforts now, he too is responsible for some murders.  He also made his move way too damn late.  Now I reside in one of the Hot spots. We are getting back to normal, less folks in the hospital, daily our cases are growing.  So ah just get when we going back to almost normal.

Board footer