You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jun 28, 2020 10:04 pm

houston
Active

Re: One heavy piece of wind

After two days of no mechanical refrigeration, I'll bet that what ever you have in there is still frozen solid if you don't open the door to see how well the food is keeping.

#12 Jun 28, 2020 10:32 pm

Expat
Active

I obviously spent a £1000 on a bad freezer. Having had the electronic control board on it die, I can assure you from experience it will definitely be a soggy mess after 24hours.

#13 Jun 28, 2020 11:00 pm

houston
Active

Don't tell me you can not source the board...that is so common with todays junk.
Why the hell a chest freezer needs an electronic board or any other parts that are designed to be limited is beyond me.
What ever happened to the old fashioned beer fridge that would last for 40 years?

#14 Jun 29, 2020 7:33 am

Slice
Active

Ah was about to ask the same question.  If is one thing America makes that is really solid are Chest freezers.  Just get rid of mine that was over 32 years old.

Ah get rid of ah fridge in Grenada, thinking it was no good.  After max 10 days stuff start to go bad in the fridge,  that are made in Mexico and Brazil, and are sold in Grenada for good money.

When the new one ah bought start doing the same thing, ah started wondering why?  It was then ah was told, that is how they are made for Grenada.

Last edited by Slice (Jun 29, 2020 7:35 am)

#15 Jun 29, 2020 9:30 am

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

Don't tell me you can not source the board...that is so common with todays junk.
Why the hell a chest freezer needs an electronic board or any other parts that are designed to be limited is beyond me.
What ever happened to the old fashioned beer fridge that would last for 40 years?

It was just an example of when a fridge freezer goes out, you do not have a great deal of time to keep the items at safe levels.

It was not the Chest freezer it was the American Style Fridge freezer which is a lot more sophisticated than many (not all RD) of the standard issue fridge freezers you get in North America, and again for RD's benefit probably in the UK as well. How do I know? Cos I spent ages researching the problem, and trying to get the board. Which I did get thankfully by figuring out my board had been updated, so the codes were different.

In the end, to be honest it wasn't the board at all, but by having the replacement it was possible in an unsophisticated way to isolate the faulty part which also had to be imported which was the defrost heater in the freezer section.

Board footer