You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 01, 2020 11:20 am

New Historian
Active

MLK's death, and my best fight!

Martin Luther King was murdered on 4th April, 1968, in Memphis Tennessee. At the time I was at scout camp, at Gillwell Park outside London. We were sitting around the campfire when our scoutmaster, Skip Cullinane, said that he had just heard the news on the radio. I was devastated. We had recently returned from our year in America, where MLK and the Civil Rights Movement had made a big impression on 14-year old me.

My best friend in scouts, Kevin Corrigan, was playing the arse, and annoying me with his unfunny quips. At one point I banged my fist on the table to make a point, to find that Corrigan had turned the pin on one of his badges upwards, and slipped it under my fist. The needle went straight up into my hand, fortunately missing a bone. THEN the fight kicked off! I leapt across the table and landed a beautiful blow to his jaw, before the two of us went rolling in the mud.

What a fight that was! I amazed myself at the eruption of anger from somewhere deep inside me, somewhere I even didn’t even know existed. For every time someone called me wog and chocolate-face, I hit him. For every other piece of shit I'd had to endure since coming to this godforsaken country, I hit him. I didn’t stop, until he yelled “I give up!” Then, I stopped. Eventually. Afterwards, he apologized, and we were best friends again. Almost.

Did I have racial issues growing up in England? Yes. Did they stay with me? No. We move on; leave childhood angst where it belongs: in childhood.

#2 Jul 01, 2020 3:32 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: MLK's death, and my best fight!

100++++

#3 Jul 01, 2020 3:39 pm

Slice
Active

Well ah do remember the day, one of my white bosses said as plain as day.  I hate black folk.  I hate niggers.  Ah mean he just said it aloud.  It was not ah secret.  He said if any of my daughters ever dated ah [racist word] I am going to kill them.  I thought about taking him to the boss, but I did not. Two of the white folks that were witness to his outburst encourage me to report him.  They pleaded with me to report him.

I did not. To me he was  PWT, and there was nothing anyone could of said or did to make him understand his hate filed rants. 

But as they say Pay back is ah bitch.  He knew ah was waiting in the wing for his position, which he finally lost and I got.  But before that two of his daughters dated black men.  One marry ah black man and had kids by him.  After being fired, he fell flat on his luck and ended up staying with his Black Son-in-law in ah mansion.

Did I rejoice? Nope, in a way ah felt sorry for him.  Honestly even today folks that hate other races, ah kinda fell sorry for them.  I happen to think it is pure ignorance.  How on earth as ah human, I can hate an Asian or Latino person?

#4 Jul 01, 2020 4:09 pm

New Historian
Active

Slice wrote:

Well ah do remember the day, one of my white bosses said as plain as day.  I hate black folk.  I hate niggers.  Ah mean he just said it aloud.  It was not ah secret.  He said if any of my daughters ever dated ah [racist word] I am going to kill them.  I thought about taking him to the boss, but I did not. Two of the white folks that were witness to his outburst encourage me to report him.  They pleaded with me to report him.

I did not. To me he was  PWT, and there was nothing anyone could of said or did to make him understand his hate filed rants. 

But as they say Pay back is ah bitch.  He knew ah was waiting in the wing for his position, which he finally lost and I got.  But before that two of his daughters dated black men.  One marry ah black man and had kids by him.  After being fired, he fell flat on his luck and ended up staying with his Black Son-in-law in ah mansion.

Did I rejoice? Nope, in a way ah felt sorry for him.  Honestly even today folks that hate other races, ah kinda fell sorry for them.  I happen to think it is pure ignorance.  How on earth as ah human, I can hate an Asian or Latino person?

Well said Sliceman, and very wise. What's a PWT: Pure White Trash? So why couldn't your white co-workers also report him, why it had to be you?

I got sweet payback in a similar case. When I was leaving America to go and live in Zimbabwe, I was buying a new motorcycle to take with me. So I called the BMW dealer in Virginia, Coleman Powersport, whom I'd dealt with before, and asked to speak to a sales rep. We talked about the price of a BMW K75, with add-ons like panniers and windscreen. I told him I was taking it to Africa.

"Oh, Africa," he says. "Then you'll be needing a spear holder, ha-ha!" Not f*cking funny, but we continue. Then he says:

"But don't they have only one road in Africa: from the presidential palace to the airport?"

Alright, I'll deal with you later, and we hang up. I then called the BMW dealer in Maryland, arranged the purchase of a BMW K75, and paid for it. Then I called back Coleman Powersport, and asked to speak to the owner. I told him of my conversation with his sales agent, and how he had just lost out on a brand-new sale, solely because his salesman was a racist piece of shit. He apologised, profusely, and said he wouldn't be working there by tomorrow.

I waited 30 minutes, then called back the same racist salesman. Got him just as he was packing up his desk!

#5 Jul 02, 2020 8:26 am

Slice
Active

I think if I were you, ah would handle it ah bit differently.  I would call the owner before I bought that BMW, and let him know what I just went through. I could almost guarantee you, that you were going to get that motor cycle, for ah bunch less.  These folks do not want their name to go down in flames.  They would of given you that bike for almost nothing.

Whenever ah see ah opening ah pounce like ah Big Cat.

I think that one of the white person, did report him, but he told them do not get me involved.  He did not want to betray my trust.

Christians, Trump supporters and pure racist, I do not waste my time arguing with.  There is nothing you can say, that will make them change their minds.  Now if you are in the middle on all three it is ah different story.

Board footer