You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Jul 06, 2020 2:40 pm

Slice
Active

WHAT DO I THINK ABOUT THE REMOVAL OF STATUES?

Me ent sure.  How is the removal of statues help black folk?  To me ah statue is just something that is there.  Having said that ah think the one of MLK, is impressive and also  Lincoln.

With the exception of MLK and Lincoln, they should all be placed in an outdoor museum.  Anyone can go and take ah look at them.

But ah wonder why any American would want to cherish those folks who fought against the union?

Last edited by Slice (Jul 06, 2020 2:42 pm)

#2 Jul 06, 2020 2:47 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: WHAT DO I THINK ABOUT THE REMOVAL OF STATUES?

All the Confederate statues, plus the slaver statues, plus the old Communist statues, plus the fascist statues, plus the Maoist statues, plus the ....

All those statues should be knocked down, transported to Grenada - and added to the Underwater Sculpture Park. They could make a new section: The Old Racists Corner!

#3 Jul 06, 2020 3:32 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

All of those Confederate statues were put up decades after the end of the Civil War after Reconstruction ended.  Their purpose was to send a message to black people: "The South lost the war and slavery ended, but don't get and big ideas.  We still love the Lost Cause and the government doesn't represent you. Know your place."

Tear the nasty things down and put them in a loser's park and teach the real history.

#4 Jul 06, 2020 6:26 pm

Slice
Active

How is removing them going to help black folks? Is it ah mind thing?  Doh need ah statue to tell me ah damn thing.  Not ah fan of anything old.  I honestly doh care if they remove them or not.

Instead of removing them, do something positive for black folks.  Setup ah fund that Black kids can go to college for free.  The amount ah loan most kids especially black ones have after leaving college is mind blowing.  It will take them more than 20 years to get outa that loan.

I think the  former mayor of New Orleans made the best case for removing them, I read, maybe about three years ago.  Keep them, but pay the youths in the black community to go to higher learning.  I could almost guarantee, that will be more effective.

NO NH, we ent want none ah them in Grenada.  Keep them in the good ole USA.

The folks that love them in America, doh have the monies to come visit them in Grenada.

#5 Jul 06, 2020 8:24 pm

houston
Active

I read this opinion page yesterday. Kinda similar to what you are suggesting Slice.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis … es-an-idea

#6 Jul 06, 2020 8:35 pm

houston
Active

Not sure if anyone has seen or heard about this film, but it looks like it be an interesting view.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis … -the-movie

#7 Jul 07, 2020 7:23 am

Slice
Active

I just think America has become to damn partisan. I am ah registered Democrat, but I will always vote my choice. I am not like RD, that will never vote Democratic.  Some segments of the Republican party are almost cult like.  Maybe  it is the same for Democrats.  America has become just like Grenada politically, and ah just doh like that.

There are two dangers in America that can destroy her, the political situation and also race, Once they have solved those situation, she will be great again. I think America will solve the race situation rather quickly.  Most younger folks do not give ah shite about race, they see Humans and not color. Ah great example are the White folks who are in the streets right now.

This morning ah was reading and watching what they say was ah potential lynching of ah black man in Indiana.  It was White folks who stopped it from happening.

Ah see hope in race issues, but the political situation, ah just doh know.

#8 Jul 07, 2020 8:56 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I am probably going to vote for Biden but that is really more of an anti-Trump vote than a pro-Biden vote.   

If I can't stomach it, I will do what I did in 2016 and cast a protest vote for the Libertarian Party candidate.

#9 Jul 07, 2020 9:06 am

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I am probably going to vote for Biden but that is really more of an anti-Trump vote than a pro-Biden vote.   

If I can't stomach it, I will do what I did in 2016 and cast a protest vote for the Libertarian Party candidate.

W.O.W.

Nah man don't waste it, close your eyes and put the X by Biden lol! Are there many more heartland Repubs like you?

You are a man of principle, not politics.

#10 Jul 07, 2020 10:25 am

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

How is removing them going to help black folks? Is it ah mind thing?  Doh need ah statue to tell me ah damn thing.  Not ah fan of anything old.  I honestly doh care if they remove them or not.

Instead of removing them, do something positive for black folks.  Setup ah fund that Black kids can go to college for free.  The amount ah loan most kids especially black ones have after leaving college is mind blowing.  It will take them more than 20 years to get outa that loan.

I think the  former mayor of New Orleans made the best case for removing them, I read, maybe about three years ago.  Keep them, but pay the youths in the black community to go to higher learning.  I could almost guarantee, that will be more effective.

NO NH, we ent want none ah them in Grenada.  Keep them in the good ole USA.

The folks that love them in America, doh have the monies to come visit them in Grenada.

Slice, there is always a good side and a bad side to most people.

Example Mugabe did some good stuff, but turned into a monster.

Churchill was a great leader, and effectively saved the World with a little help from his friends, but he was a child of the late Victorian era  and class where views were less than politically correct if viewed through a modern lens.

Even Gairey who has statues, maybe in 50 or a 100 years when his sycophants have faded away, and history honestly records some of his brutality?  Maybe the statues will come down?

Same with Bishop, despite some of the good things that happened, his hands weren't clean.

So should we erect those statues? should we pull them down, should we really get hysterical and pull the slave trade connected statues down.

Maybe if they were raised with the intent RD spoke of maybe.

However Britain is having its statue moment too, and a business man in Bristol who's business included slave ships was recently pulled off his pedestal. But, and the reason he was recognised was he was a major philanthropic benefactor to Bristol where he lived. Hence streets named after him, and statues raised.

Same with the TATE family who became modern day Tate and Lyle sugar, in the UK. Their amassed fortunes built major art galleries known the World over.

Everything about what these people did was wrong, even back when it started, but it was a different era, different cultural norms, different understanding on suffering. As Trump has poorly said, if you rip up the markers of history ultimately you will forget it. Do you really want to forget it?  If you put the boot on the other foot, while those statues might grate with the Black population now, if the history is rammed down everyone's throat so even the lowest of the trailer trash get it, then maybe those statues will serve to remind the Whites what shame they carry? If you pull them down, then just like the holocaust deniers, what slavery, it never happened.

Board footer