You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jul 06, 2020 8:13 pm

houston
Active

Re: THE CHANGING FACE OF AMERICA, FOOD WISE

I've always liked a small sized Empire apple, get them from a Mennonite market for $6/peck. Very good snacking apple and just the right size. Never been a fan of those huge, overpriced, waxed apples found at the big grocers. Once you bite into them you have to finish too much apple. They brown up fast.
Discovered a new apple last season called a Silken. Yellow in colour and absolutely delicious. Probably the best apple I've ever tasted and also small in size (about the size of a tennis ball or less) perfect for snacking. Can't wait to get them again later in September.

https://www.birnamorchards.com/apples

#12 Jul 06, 2020 9:20 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Slice wrote:

Honeycrisp is also the most expensive.  Leh me say, they are GOOD.

Honeycrisp are the best apples generally available but, October through Christmas you can get Cosmic Crisp.  Basically an improved Honeycrisp.  If you see them this fall, buy them.  Trust me.

#13 Jul 06, 2020 10:44 pm

gripe
Active

Slice, I was expecting you, at some point, to have asked why it is Grenadian mangoes and other fruits are not on the shelves in Maryland and other states? It is good to know that Caribbean foods are easier to find in local U.S. supermarkets. But, wouldn't it be extra special  -- extra sweet -- if you can find and purchase your favourite Grenadian fruits in your local U.S. supermarkets?

#14 Jul 06, 2020 11:31 pm

houston
Active

Gripe, it sure would be nice to find a better selection of rare foods in the supermarket s up north but unfortunately they stock what sells from large outfits that can handle an experimental loss. Who in Grenada is going to risk shipping unique products with short shelf life and no guarantee that it will move?
Excellent products can be found at the small markets with a big price.
Lots of people don’t know what they are missing from so many countries that could provide so much selection of some the tastiest food in the world.

#15 Jul 06, 2020 11:54 pm

houston
Active

I guess in short, the big suppliers will always control what is on the shelves of the big markets, making it impossible to find that Julie mango.
The year round growing facilities here have gone mad with investment. Making it more difficult to find specialty products naturally grown abroad.

#16 Jul 07, 2020 7:01 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Slice wrote:

Honeycrisp are the best apples generally available but, October through Christmas you can get Cosmic Crisp.  Basically an improved Honeycrisp.  If you see them this fall, buy them.  Trust me.

Cosmic Crisp, ah got to remember that.

#17 Jul 07, 2020 9:20 am

piratejenny
Active

don't forget Pink Lady apples.

#18 Jul 07, 2020 9:34 am

gripe
Active

My comment, houston, was mostly out of hope that our governments in the Caribbean, and certainly Grenada's, could get a handle on successfully internationally marketing our great agricultural products, mangoes included. Its been a dream for so long that has not materialized. Although I understand that the "large outfits" rule the roost, there is something to be said for a good product properly marketed and getting at least its fair share of the consumers' demands. Grenada faces an up hill task in that effort but it is not an impossibility.

#19 Jul 07, 2020 9:53 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Slice wrote:

Who would have thought I would butt in.... smile

In the UK there are 2500 different varieties of apple. Naturally many of them are not available in major supermarkets as the supply chain takes from major outlets. There are 7000 varieties World wide.

http://greatbritishapples.co.uk/

I suspect NH will be able to confirm there are some much better apples out there than the golden delicious and it kin. Maybe the Coxes Golden Pippin?

I always thought the golden delicious was a french origin apple, but I see it is yet another American progeny.

Board footer