You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jul 07, 2020 11:13 am

Slice
Active

Re: WHAT DO I THINK ABOUT THE REMOVAL OF STATUES?

Real Distwalker wrote:

I am probably going to vote for Biden but that is really more of an anti-Trump vote than a pro-Biden vote.   

If I can't stomach it, I will do what I did in 2016 and cast a protest vote for the Libertarian Party candidate.

Yep ah growing number of Republicans are going to do that.  They just care about one thing and that is defeating Trump.  They still want the Senate and house to be held by Republicans, but not the White house by Trump.

This election will have major surprises for Trump.  This could be the second largest defeat after Mondale.  Trump will lose some major states in the South.

#12 Jul 08, 2020 12:18 pm

Dancer
Active

Speaking Caribbean and Statues .

There is a Statue of Lord Nelson  in London . An older one in Little England ( Barbados)
People want to throw Nelson in the Carenage , some ,  say ,  put him in a museum .

I like this suggestion from some talk shop person .   """" Put Nelson Statue in Bridgetown ... up for auction .

new Historian or Expat can buy him .
lmao.

#13 Jul 08, 2020 7:25 pm

Expat
Active

Well it seems I have a great deal of ignorance about Nelson. As a child one would have been tought aboutr his great accomplishments defeating the French at Waterloo etc.

History is way too complicated to simply throw the baby out with the bath water.

#14 Jul 08, 2020 7:53 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

History is way too complicated to simply throw the baby out with the bath water.

Exactly.  It is a fun parlor game to sit around and judge 18th century men by 21st century standards but, ultimately, it is pointless.  Where would the world be without men like Admiral Lord Nelson, Thomas Jefferson, Winston Churchill, George Washington and everyone else the modern world would condemn?  The answer is that without these people the world of July 8, 2020 would undoubtedly be a worse place.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jul 08, 2020 8:10 pm)

#15 Jul 09, 2020 7:03 am

Slice
Active

I think the world 5 years ago are very different today.  I am not sure, but the younger generation are doing it all their way. They are not even listening to the folks who came before them. It is sometimes very scary to me, because I always thought you learn from history and your parents, but that is just not the case.

This BLM gain respect and momentum, because of the number of different races involved.  The world and America will look and feel totally different 20 years from now.

A few parents told me, that their 20 something year ole kids do not pay attention to them, and I replied allyu mad.  There will never be a case when my child won't listen to us.  Mine listen and although, he is very respectful, he does things his way and that is very scary.

Once these twenty something start holding Political offices, watch what is going to happen.

I walk by plenty statues and doh even know they are there.  They ent mean ah thing to me.

#16 Jul 09, 2020 10:54 am

Expat
Active

The young have always frightened the preceding generations. Sometimes with good cause.
Youngsters be they adolescents or young adults have more vim and vigour than their older counterparts who may have been worn down by the system.
Just imagine how the generation before mine felt when flower power, hippies, rock and roll, skinheads and peacenicks came along.

Times are definitely different now simply as we are instantly connected by real and bogus media, Whatscrap, tick tock, or what ever your poison is. There is so much deliberate misinformation corrupting gullible peoples minds. The Rising of the Fascists White supremacists is aided and abetted by covert secret chat groups.

The extremes of the BLM movement is whipping up excess negativity. A good cause is being manipulated and we could lose almost as much as people rightly deserve to gain.

We had the PC movement a while back which has stifled us in respect to many things, where you are almost afraid to open your mouth. As an old fart I could easily say something which is not intentioned to offend because I simply do not know the latest conventions. Plus we are being ruled by views held in America which very often had no real relevance in other countries, as their histories although inter twined were very different.

The key thing is things are driven so much quicker now in open court via  people sitting at computers pushing their own aganda in a way could never happened before. Just like Empires have collapsed in increasingly shorter periods of time, so is society going to break down with electronic hysteria.

Last edited by Expat (Jul 09, 2020 10:57 am)

Board footer