You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 09, 2020 3:44 pm

New Historian
Active

When your father isn't good enough

I had a friend at St. Greg’s School in Kenton, name of Glen Vallint, an Indian, or as he called himself, “Anglo-Indian” (I never saw much Anglo in him, but never mind). Like me he was kinda shy, and I guess for that reason we got along. He lived in Rickmansworth, and occasionally I’d spend weekends at his house, and he would also spend time at ours. His father was a British Airways pilot, and he would have us spellbound, with stories of his father’s exploits and near misses, in far-flung locations. How every year his father had to do this grueling physical examination, involving things like jumping out of flooded planes. Wow, what a dad!

One Sunday evening my dad picked me up from Glen’s house in Ricky, and their parents invited him in. Dad shakes Mr. Vallint’s hand:

“Good to meet you sir, I’ve heard all about your flying exploits!”

“Pardon?”

“Your son, wonderful boy, told us of your experiences, flying for British Airways, must be a helluva job.”

Mr. Vallint still looked puzzled. Uh-oh, this wasn’t smelling good, and out of the corner of my eye I spied Glen, beginning to visibly shrink.

“I don’t know what you mean, I work in the Alcan factory, in Wembley.”

Three pairs of eyes turned on Glen, and my heart felt for him; he was speechless, he couldn’t utter a word – no one could! The ultra-awkward moment hung in the air for what seemed like an eternity, before dad and I hurriedly said our goodbyes and left. In the car going home, none of us could believe what had just happened; his stories were so believable! He must have read up on what a BA pilot does, and manufactured this alter-ego for his father. I guess a factory worker at Alcan Wembley wasn’t enough.

The next day and in the days thereafter, I called him up, and asked why he had to do that, but of course got no answers. I insisted that we should forget about it, and remain friends. But he was so crushed, I don’t think he and I spoke more than a dozen words afterwards. Strange.

Last edited by New Historian (Jul 09, 2020 3:45 pm)

#2 Jul 09, 2020 4:27 pm

houston
Active

Re: When your father isn't good enough

Yeah, a bit over embellished but not all that strange for kids to imagine their dads as super heroes.
I'll bet that would have been an awkward situation for the parents but what the hey, kids will be kids and dream in different ways.
Great story!

#3 Jul 12, 2020 9:56 am

Dancer
Active

Re: When your father isn't good enough

I get the gist New Historian.

But no.  ...  " Anglo Indian  is no family to our Slice. "

lo.

Board footer