You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#21 Jul 15, 2020 11:39 pm

Expat
Active

Re: How come I don't hate white people?

houston wrote:

Saw this story today and it gave me some bad memories.
That silly white dude becoming a version of Hellboy will be in some serious pain for at least a week. He will then shed his skin for another week.
He's gonna suffer for that sunny day at the beach.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/torontosun. … -viral/amp

The first time I went to T&T way back in the 70's having never been anywhere hotter than Brighton Beach, and being a very embarrassing bleach white I went to Maracas Beach with the ladies family, and spent maybe 20 minutes in the sea, and the rest of the time shading under a coconut tree. On the way back in the car I turned an absolute lobster colour, and with hind sight had heat stroke, and maybe 3rd degree burns on my shoulders. I then spent a couple of days on the bed unable to put on a shirt, followed by a slow and painful return to life outside. I know it was Carnival season, but her absence while I lay on my death bed should have given me a clue as to what the future held.

Last edited by Expat (Jul 15, 2020 11:40 pm)

#22 Jul 16, 2020 10:29 am

New Historian
Active

In a social/racial context, being white in the Caribbean must be similar but opposite to being Black in Britain, but with one important difference. The difference between an immigrant and an "Expat" boils down to one thing: Money. "Generally speaking", expats aren't exactly poor, they didn't leave their homes to escape poverty and find a better life; they came to work, invest. I guess the cushion of money and a nice house in Lansapeen makes it easier to deal with the occasional racism. Unlike living in some cramped crappy flat on the 20th floor of a council estate vertical ghetto.

#23 Jul 16, 2020 10:35 am

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:
houston wrote:

Saw this story today and it gave me some bad memories.
That silly white dude becoming a version of Hellboy will be in some serious pain for at least a week. He will then shed his skin for another week.
He's gonna suffer for that sunny day at the beach.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/torontosun. … -viral/amp

The first time I went to T&T way back in the 70's having never been anywhere hotter than Brighton Beach, and being a very embarrassing bleach white I went to Maracas Beach with the ladies family, and spent maybe 20 minutes in the sea, and the rest of the time shading under a coconut tree. On the way back in the car I turned an absolute lobster colour, and with hind sight had heat stroke, and maybe 3rd degree burns on my shoulders. I then spent a couple of days on the bed unable to put on a shirt, followed by a slow and painful return to life outside. I know it was Carnival season, but her absence while I lay on my death bed should have given me a clue as to what the future held.

I see you have not learned ah thing about Trini and their carnival.  Carnival comes first second and third in their life.

#24 Jul 16, 2020 10:57 am

Slice
Active

Calypso wrote:
gripe wrote:

Slice, I scratched my head after reading the following statement from you: "I kinda do not understand African-Americans way of thinking. They got too much going for them and not take full advantage of it."

That is a truly amazing and disappointing statement if just taken at surface level especially because you have many times  made it clear that you have lived in the U.S. for many years. Besides, can't you independently research to understand the issues Blacks in America confront? 

The fact that some Blacks in America create problems is not unique. Other races have similar issues, too, caused by some segments of their race. More pointedly, Black Americans are not solely problem makers. Some are problem solvers. There are, in fact, many Black Americans who are extremely productive and others who just simply need the opportunity to excell. Opportunities for Black Americans are not wide spread, Slice, contrary to your claim that "They got too much going for them . . ."

So, Slice, I am hoping that I can recover from the pain you caused me after reading your statement that I quoted.

Gripe, once again I would like to thank you for your sensitivity toward Afro-Americans. Slice has NEVER being called a boy when he was a man or he never had to escape a lynch mob. Growing up in an all black environment protected him to some degree from that. Slice does not know about Black Wall Street and how the whites ruined it because the blacks were living better than them.  Afro-Americans--at least some of them--are a broken people. Some are wonderful. Slice is rather foolish!

I must admit, that I have been lots of other names, but here is the very interesting thing.  I have not been called names by White folks.  Yes ah know the history of black folk in America.  You must know when ah left Grenada, ah was ah revolutionary.  I read everything about the black struggle.  I was so black, that folks gave me plenty nick names, including Fidel as in Castro.  All, and ah mean all my troubles came with American Blacks.  I sat down with the white woman that was in charge of my place of work, and after speaking to her she cried.  I was so nasty to her I was surprise, she did not fire me.  Three Black managers and one black HR director refused to promote me.  It was only after they finally hired ah white manager, that I was promoted.  The HR director was gone by then.  Kaiso I lived it. I know it, I worked with it. None ah allyu do not have my experience with working with black folk.  The experience for me was not nice.  Ah white person never told me to take the Banana boat and go to hell back to my country.  They never busted my first  and second car windows twice.  I am not ah hater.  I just cant hate white folks because they are white.  Because of my experience with SOME Black Americans, I do not trust them.

#25 Jul 16, 2020 1:56 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

In a social/racial context, being white in the Caribbean must be similar but opposite to being Black in Britain, but with one important difference. The difference between an immigrant and an "Expat" boils down to one thing: Money. "Generally speaking", expats aren't exactly poor, they didn't leave their homes to escape poverty and find a better life; they came to work, invest. I guess the cushion of money and a nice house in Lansapeen makes it easier to deal with the occasional racism. Unlike living in some cramped crappy flat on the 20th floor of a council estate vertical ghetto.

OK, you got me there, I only made it to the 5th floor, and before the white and black trash slummed it up it was built as a luxury complex that got taken over by the local council to complete. Something about a lift running with urine that devalues it's appearance.

I would also agree MOST of the expats I see are pretty well healed, which is why they have their yard boys keeping the lawns immaculate. Or came with enough funds to start or take over businesses, and are comfortably off, Other expats, I can think of one at least, are just like most returnees. To the vast majority of locals living up in Dudmar, or Barrow they would seem to be very similar to those born again expats. As they see them in their paid for cars, and decent housing.... Paid for as part of the relocation plan. But cash flow after the initial investment, for sundry reasons can be a major issue. Many a returnee has come with pockets full of gold only to run back to foreign 2 or 5 years later with empty pockets.

It would have to be a really really special occasion for the expat I am thinking of to trot off to Aquarium to blow a grand on a meal. Even a $200 at Umbrellas. It may not be THAT much money, but it could do so many better things than an hour at a table. The expat I am thinking of is losing $24-30,000 dollars a year simply due to currency fluctuation, which if you compound that over 12 years is? Yep a hell of a lot of money which could have paid for a lot of things. Meals, flights, replaced crappy car, repairs, etc etc.

So not all expats fit neatly into the parochial perception of the average local.

As for overt racism, nah, it generally is not a problem, unless you get into a quarrel especially with strangers. Only the other day with a car full of my black family ranging from 79 to 11 years of age, a silly traffic incident engendered "you white cnt" to be shouted clearly for the entire car to hear. But is this any different from a response from the wife to a bad piece of driving on Hammersmith Broadway when she says inside our closed car "You Black Bastard". Not that beloved makes a habit of cursing, but she deemed it bad enough to deserve a fruity word.

Last edited by Expat (Jul 16, 2020 2:02 pm)

#26 Jul 16, 2020 3:39 pm

New Historian
Active

"But is this any different from a response from the wife to a bad piece of driving on Hammersmith Broadway when she says inside our closed car "You Black Bastard". Not that beloved makes a habit of cursing, but she deemed it bad enough to deserve a fruity word."

Many a West Indian wife woulda hurled that same cussin outside the car as well! Classic line from a letter from my (black) Auntie Laurina to my (black) father, complaining about a mutual (black) cousin: "so she black, so she heart black"!! smile

Ah the Caribbean bwoy, a melting pot of bigotry in paradise!

#27 Jul 17, 2020 9:30 am

Dancer
Active

What's up . Red Man. lol.
Family good.

Board footer