You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#31 Jul 18, 2020 10:26 pm

houston
Active

Re: BLACK FOLK AND THEIR STUPIDITY AND CORONA

I guess the high tech jobs are expected to remain here somehow and the T-shirts will continue to be made in Bangladesh.
Could we please get a shirt that fits, made of quality material and doesn't shrink after one wash?

#32 Jul 19, 2020 1:02 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Not to appeal to authority, but my undergraduate degree is in economics, I was top graduate in my college with that degree (1st out of 36) and I was a member of the Omicron Delta Epsilon International Honor Society in economics.

#33 Jul 19, 2020 8:53 pm

Expat
Active

Unlike you, I will actually follow up on a point the person I was debating with, rather than making my own grandstand issues.

>It would be weapons grade idiocy for an advanced economy with highly educated and highly productive workers like the UK to be wasting labor on something like textiles.  Bah!  The UK should be making aircraft engines, medical machines and complex tools.  If they focus on that and let, I dunno, Laotians work textiles the UK can have a thousand times more clothing than if they waste their labor doing it themselves.<

Firstly although you weren't to know this, the death of the textile industry in any volume happened a long time ago, although I did actually know a mill worker from that era. 40+ years ago she was around 80, and deaf as a post due to the noise of the looms in her 20's.

You may not know this but England actually does make aircraft engines, they are called Rolls Royce, and fitted in just a few American made aircraft. However it looks they they are in the toilet again. Rolls Royce cars had to split off from them decades ago because they could have gone under then.

As I did write a few comments back Britain WAS a powerhouse of engineering. But those glory days have gone. And your economic genius is not going to put it back, the Laotions are probably about to build the next generation of robots that is going to put another 1000,000 out of work in the UK alone. The problem with your simplistic approach is that, as your countrymen are finding out, there is not a giant pool of worthwhile work to go find. Although our various governments could brag unemployment was back down to the 60's level, it is a facade, very many of those jobs are crap jobs keeping peoples heads just above water.... maybe.

From your Chrystal glazed mansion jobs and industries just pop up out of nowhere. Industries just rejuvenate themselves, or somebody has a genius idea, and a whole new product range is created employing thousands of technical wizards overnight.

I was classed as a highly skilled worker back when I built those Various models of Rolls Royce, and as you might imagine paid well above the engineering sector we were in. As such a capable and experienced engineer you would think walk out of one job and walk straight into another in a related field. Exactly the same mind set as many of the various trades groups thought themselves. When the plant closed due to the parent company retrenching there were a lot of humbled people out there.

After a lot of pain and misery and frankly almost bankruptcy I worked the angles, started my own business, and made it work, to the point I needed a partner, but the workload, and stress made me glad to take up that post in the insurance company I mentioned. Which worked for me, and apart from the perks, paid better than I expect I would have been paid as a Motor Vehicle Builder. Were I not to have retired 8 years early I would be living very comfortably indeed, but both my health... although I didn't realise what it was at the time, and my desire to get Wifey home just as the markets collapsed followed by Brexit an all, has made a total mess of some very well made plans.

Now you could say I proved your point, I made and found work, but there's more than one side to it. I am pretty sure most of those very skilled men will not have found work commensurate with their abilities, which would be a ball breaker and a waste. Secondly if not the World, England lost a very special quality of car. Yes there are new VW Rolls Royces out there machined to within 3 parsecs of an atoms arse, but a robotic created mass produced car regardless of the badge is not a hand made quality item. Of course to you that would be no different from replacing steam beam engines in coal mines with diesel pumps. Even I can see the benefits of the diesel pump.

But I sure as hell do not see lots of high grade jobs being created in Britain, or America. Rejoice in your position, I don't blame you, but a long way down from where you are real life is a struggle. The average wage in both America and Britain is crap. I am glad I was never anywhere near those averages for a very long time.

#34 Jul 19, 2020 9:34 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Again, if you are trying to apply microeconomics thinking to macroeconomic problems, you are going to get the wrong answer every time. 

I will tell you this, making t-shirts for $1 per hour like the Laotions do isn't going to solve the any economic problems the UK has.  I would attempt to explain this to you further but that would take a lot of typing and you aren't open to it anyway.

I do have a question:  What other ways can we improve the economy by restraining trade, restricting commerce, shrinking markets, reducing supply and driving up costs?

Board footer