You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jul 20, 2020 3:36 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Comparative Advantage

Kinda felt that was directed towards me PADNAH, Expat so ah staying to heck away.

#12 Jul 20, 2020 3:53 pm

houston
Active

BTW, that also frees up the lawyer to double dip and either go back to court for a couple of more hours and bill client #2.
Or, some leisure time around the pool.
Damn, should of gone to law school.

#13 Jul 20, 2020 7:18 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Well, it is amazing because people like Expat cry fat tears than any developing nation has any comparative advantage.  "God forbid that T-shirts and flip-flops be made in Bangladesh when they could be being made in Britain!"  Bah!

'In any case, 'Made in Japan; meant cheap-ass trinkets in the 1950s.  Now it means super-high end products.

In the 1970s, 'Made in Korea" meant cheap crap.  Now it means Samsung and LG.

Nations that take advantage of the comparative advantage in trade start improving their lot... if they want to.

What choice does Grenada have anyway?  Attempt autarchy?  That would be a disaster.

There you go again.  There are lots of points within your economical arguments I would agree with... Shit, I even did economics in college myself... Of course I didn't get an honours degree or anything close. But that's neither here nor there.

The simple fact is you run with your own talking points and puff your chest out because you can make some very unstaggering conclusions, simply because you created the point to show how clever you are.

The fact of the matter is while as I did agree there are many cases where creating parallel work in various countries reduces shipping costs, may even reduce manufacturing costs, and makes internal distribution of components easier and boosts the local engineering economy if we are talking about cars for example.

Talking bullshite about Canadians growing Nutmeg, is asinine, and is exactly what I said, a straw man created by you who did not deal with the points I created as it didn't suit your purpose.

The absolute fact of the matter regardless of your economics fantasy land view, millions of workers are going to be out of work, not complementing the tax system, or boosting the local economies, now because of Covid, but certainly it was due to happen because of exporting work. To dream that out of a fug haze suddenly they are all going to find equivalent, or worthwhile jobs is just that fantasy land.

There are human costs to the bullshite you are preaching, and while commerce has to function, make a profit, and satisfy the shareholders. Squeezing the nth degree out of the cent is not good business, it is greed.

#14 Jul 20, 2020 8:01 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

Talking bullshite about Canadians growing Nutmeg, is asinine, and is exactly what I said, a straw man created by you who did not deal with the points I created as it didn't suit your purpose.

Extreme examples are used for clarity. Most people, once they understand the extreme example, can extrapolate simliler but more subtle examples.  You could too if you wanted to.

Expat wrote:

There are human costs to the bullshite you are preaching, and while commerce has to function, make a profit, and satisfy the shareholders. Squeezing the nth degree out of the cent is not good business, it is greed.

You can't improve the economy or improve lives by restraining trade, restricting commerce, shrinking markets and creating artificial shortages.  You just can't.  The entire idea is complete and utter nonsense.

Board footer