You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 21, 2020 1:01 pm

Expat
Active

So, was it a triple Murder in Westerhall yesterday?

Regrettably yesterday afternoon a waste truck heading towards town slammed into a bus heading towards Grenville close to the Westerhall Gas Station. Killing 3, and injuring several others.

The truck driver claims to have lost brakes and hearsay, or dey say says he tried to grind against the concrete wall on the opposite side of the road to slow down, but the bus was coming, and got in the way.

Now, from my perspective if the driver is just the driver, then he may just be part of the innocent structure of the accident, and tried to stop, but got caught up in events he couldn't control.

However my dramatic subject line is intended for all those instrumental in his brakes failing, because maintained vehicles almost never have failure unless perhaps they are driving down very steep hills, or carrying super heavy loads that cause the brakes to become less efficient.

So, who are likely to be party to this crime. Number one the vehicle owner, as it is their responsibility to make sure the vehicle is serviced regularly by a competent mechanic. Secondly, that mechanic who should carry out thorough actual and visual checks. Thirdly the police, yes the police, because they are the ones supposed to inspect the vehicles to ensure safety.... or maybe its just a money spinning program? Certainly on light vehicles the level of inspection is so minimal as to be laughable. Fourthly and finally unless I can think of another group to mention, the Government, for not introducing adequate inspections using modern technology.

The level of inspection is so far below par it is considerably below what I was involved in checking cars for the M.O.T in the UK back in the 60's. After an inspection they do not know if you have 4 functioning brakes, and how efficient they are. They do not know if there is any play in the steering, they do not know if any or all your suspension is working or not, they do not know if you are pushing out dangerous levels of combustion products, they do not know if you have a leak in your exhaust line, they do not know if your headlights are adjusted properly.

What they do know is you have dust on your engine, and if you have a cracked number plate.

Unfortunately if the Government and the Police were to step up to the plate, maybe 50% of the vehicles would be off the road immediately, and I guess they couldn't handle the civil unrest it would cause.

However, you father, mother, brother, sister, child, or sundry other relatives are wandering around with targets on their backs waiting to be involved either as a driver, passenger, or pedestrian in an "accident", which might not be from negligent driving, the most common cause, but from negligent maintenance. Which in my book makes it MURDER.

#2 Jul 21, 2020 3:16 pm

houston
Active

Re: So, was it a triple Murder in Westerhall yesterday?

Terrible tragedy to hear about, Expat.
Surely the authorities will be doing a thorough investigation to determine responsibility.

#3 Jul 21, 2020 4:13 pm

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:

Regrettably yesterday afternoon a waste truck heading towards town slammed into a bus heading towards Grenville close to the Westerhall Gas Station. Killing 3, and injuring several others.

The truck driver claims to have lost brakes and hearsay, or dey say says he tried to grind against the concrete wall on the opposite side of the road to slow down, but the bus was coming, and got in the way.

Now, from my perspective if the driver is just the driver, then he may just be part of the innocent structure of the accident, and tried to stop, but got caught up in events he couldn't control.

However my dramatic subject line is intended for all those instrumental in his brakes failing, because maintained vehicles almost never have failure unless perhaps they are driving down very steep hills, or carrying super heavy loads that cause the brakes to become less efficient.

So, who are likely to be party to this crime. Number one the vehicle owner, as it is their responsibility to make sure the vehicle is serviced regularly by a competent mechanic. Secondly, that mechanic who should carry out thorough actual and visual checks. Thirdly the police, yes the police, because they are the ones supposed to inspect the vehicles to ensure safety.... or maybe its just a money spinning program? Certainly on light vehicles the level of inspection is so minimal as to be laughable. Fourthly and finally unless I can think of another group to mention, the Government, for not introducing adequate inspections using modern technology.

The level of inspection is so far below par it is considerably below what I was involved in checking cars for the M.O.T in the UK back in the 60's. After an inspection they do not know if you have 4 functioning brakes, and how efficient they are. They do not know if there is any play in the steering, they do not know if any or all your suspension is working or not, they do not know if you are pushing out dangerous levels of combustion products, they do not know if you have a leak in your exhaust line, they do not know if your headlights are adjusted properly.
It is sickening.  I ent arguing with ah word you said. Blow your horn, Switch your lights, left indicator, right indictor, turn on your wipers.  Ok you pass.  Now go on pay.  It sickens me. Thank God for America.
What they do know is you have dust on your engine, and if you have a cracked number plate.

Unfortunately if the Government and the Police were to step up to the plate, maybe 50% of the vehicles would be off the road immediately, and I guess they couldn't handle the civil unrest it would cause.

However, you father, mother, brother, sister, child, or sundry other relatives are wandering around with targets on their backs waiting to be involved either as a driver, passenger, or pedestrian in an "accident", which might not be from negligent driving, the most common cause, but from negligent maintenance. Which in my book makes it MURDER.

#4 Jul 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Slice
Active

houston wrote:

Terrible tragedy to hear about, Expat.
Surely the authorities will be doing a thorough investigation to determine responsibility.

Are you nuts? what investigation? About 1 hour after the accident someone send me 6 videos of the accident scene.  Roads was not blocked off.  All kinda folks all over the area.  It was ah mess.

Board footer