You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#11 Jul 26, 2020 7:12 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Maybe the 2nd worst night of my life

houston wrote:

Next question. Did anyone else eat from the same can of suspect and did they experience any symptoms of food poisoning?

I was the one and only victim. Wifey was eating her stuff, and figured we could share the veggies, and she knocked up the Tuna just for me.

#12 Jul 26, 2020 7:17 pm

Expat
Active

Just reading about canned foods, and a shipment to a mining village in 1885 was sunk, and recovered around 1974, and tested, and the contents were pretty much nutritionally good, and no bacteria, it kinda shows tinned food lasts as long as it's not damaged.

#13 Jul 26, 2020 7:22 pm

houston
Active

Hmm?...that sounds fishy.
Have you recently signed onto a large life insurance plan?

#14 Jul 27, 2020 8:15 am

Slice
Active

Lord Expat, ah hope you feel better, but in a way, ah tink it should be checked out.  This is sound very fishy to me.  Tuna can not be that dangerous.  From what ah read expiration dates are just ah gimmick.  Hope it is the Tuna, but still worth seeing ah doc.

#15 Jul 27, 2020 9:11 am

Expat
Active

Off for a retrospective with the doctor at lunch time, Vomiting, sweating, general feeling like crap I can deal with. Significant pain in a kidney, or at least that's what it seemed, is a concern.

Mind you, I was just told a friend of a friend had food poisoning, and nearly died, has been in the General for 3 weeks, and now has some syndrome, and significant loss of movement, and may take months to use their arms and legs.

#16 Jul 27, 2020 12:00 pm

WH Man
Active

Expat wrote:

Off for a retrospective with the doctor at lunch time, Vomiting, sweating, general feeling like crap I can deal with. Significant pain in a kidney, or at least that's what it seemed, is a concern.

Mind you, I was just told a friend of a friend had food poisoning, and nearly died, has been in the General for 3 weeks, and now has some syndrome, and significant loss of movement, and may take months to use their arms and legs.

I sincerely hope you find an experienced or competent Dr. who would give you a thorough exam and accurate diagnosis.

From the symptoms you related, and the fact that you ate 19 yr old canned (In Thailand) tuna hours before, I suspect you may have foodborne botulism. I hope not, that cold be bad news. Ask you Dr. to test your feces or urine for botulism spores.

I hope you return from your Dr. with good news. I'm praying you don't get food poisoning or botulism in Grenada. I'm not certain you could even get the type of testing for detection done there.

#17 Jul 27, 2020 12:07 pm

WH Man
Active

Slice wrote:

Lord Expat, ah hope you feel better, but in a way, ah tink it should be checked out.  This is sound very fishy to me.  Tuna can not be that dangerous.  From what ah read expiration dates are just ah gimmick.  Hope it is the Tuna, but still worth seeing ah doc.

Yes, Tuna can be that dangerous. It's a main source of foodborne botulism.

Expiration date could be significant, especially if canned in a facility with poor quality control and contamination free standards...….Third world Thailand.

#18 Jul 27, 2020 2:56 pm

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:

One of me PADNAHS in Grenada, spend about ah month in the hospital because of Food poisonings.  We thought he was ah gonna.  That was the funny thing, he and another PADNAH eat the same roti, one almost died, nothing was wrong with the other.

Had my share of roti positioning before.  It ent easy.  Curry is good for you, but it can be just as deadly. I am so very careful buying roti in Grenada now.

#19 Jul 27, 2020 8:08 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:
Expat wrote:

One of me PADNAHS in Grenada, spend about ah month in the hospital because of Food poisonings.  We thought he was ah gonna.  That was the funny thing, he and another PADNAH eat the same roti, one almost died, nothing was wrong with the other.

Had my share of roti positioning before.  It ent easy.  Curry is good for you, but it can be just as deadly. I am so very careful buying roti in Grenada now.

Well, call it food poisoning or gippy tummy, but previous iterations of the Nutmeg Restaurant gave me 2 cases of the squits from Roti, I sure as hell am not going to let them go for the third.

We are all different with varying immune systems and tolerances, which is why I poo poo so much of the standardised medical thinking that wants to make us all fit in small bracket.

You may have been infected by a bug while a kid that gives you protection from certain pathogens while even someone in the next house may not have had that experience so may be vulnerable to things you are not. Hence one person gets ill, and the next one doesn't.

#20 Aug 01, 2020 1:30 pm

New Historian
Active

Dread mate! Glad it wasn't anything worse, but I would encourage you to take that tin of poison to some 'relevant authority', that shit can kill someone who doesn't have your strong (?) constitution!

Board footer