You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Sep 15, 2020 12:08 am

New Historian
Active

Does any of it matter?

I see the ebb and flow of opinions, facts, not quite facts, news, fake news and the rest of the info/media bombardment. But tell me: in our personal lives, does any of it matter? Whether herd mentality works, whether masks help or hurt, whether all the other scientific and non-scientific imponderables - WILL ANY OF IT MATTER?

Just askin'

#2 Sep 15, 2020 8:43 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Does any of it matter?

I had begun to notice that my elderly father was changing.  He was alternatively angry or depressed.  He had tapped into the 24 hour news channels and was convinced the world was going to hell on a rocket sled.

I pointed out to him that nothing had really changed in his small town.  Riots in Portland and crime in Chicago don't affect him.  Sure, the pandemic is everywhere but it is easy for him to avoid.  I told him if he didn't watch and read the news the world would be little changed from what it has always been.

He agreed to lay off the news for a while and, the last time I talked to him, he seemed like my usual cheerful, optimistic dad.

The 24 hour news cycle is designed to make us alarmed.  We adopt a constant state of vigilance that is exhausting and depressing. My father is old.  He shouldn't worry about rioting in Portland that is never going have the slightest effect on him.

Maybe all of us should dial it back.

#3 Sep 15, 2020 9:32 am

Expat
Active

Dial back the fake news on CNN, ABC, BBC, FOX etc etc, and start using some fact based info instead of the panic inducing BS thats out there now, and a nasty illness will just do it's thing, and most of us will come out the other side. Unfortunately we aint doing that, so economies are crashing.

#4 Sep 15, 2020 9:48 am

Real Distwalker
Active

What my dad needs to do is watch old westerns on TV, go fishing down at the river, play golf with his lady friend, walk his dog, do his gardening, cook nice meals and enjoy his pleasant life.

#5 Sep 15, 2020 9:58 am

Expat
Active

Yep, sound Idyllic for your Dad. I could just pick up a stick of chewing baccy and a rod and join him.

Unfortunately I see another day weed eating, and hacking with my cutlass. I shall be the fittest corpse in La Qua's.

I was painting a broader picture, in reference to the panic inducement, which is or seems to be part of a wider strategy to control the masses, and ready them for mass vaccinations.

#6 Sep 15, 2020 11:14 am

Dancer
Active

Matter to who . New Historian  ?   Matter to who ? ..... just asking.

" So... I don't know if these touches on the question. lol.

> Be who you are and say what you feel , because  those who mind don't matter  ,  and those who matter don't mind  <

- The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze pilots wore helmets -  A. Mcquire
- Nobody realizes  that some people extend tremendous  energy to be normal - albert camus
- people say nothing is impossible  , but I do nothing every day.-   AA Milne.

Board footer