You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Sep 29, 2020 11:48 pm

Expat
Active

What is wrong with these idiots

Watching the UK news, and with their newly introduced early closing of pubs and bars large crowds have been congregating on the street. Are they lemmings trying to jump off a cliff?

I am supportive of reduced restrictions so as to allow the economy to bounce back, but common sense says wear masks near people, and keep a sensible distance. Not this lot, what eejits.

#2 Oct 01, 2020 9:59 am

Dancer
Active

Re: What is wrong with these idiots

Covid 19  made Brexit   talks in the UK take a back seat .  But reading behind the pandemic  news England is up the creek with  its Brexit negotiations .
PM Johnson should be  doing  better  after all  his  hype for years.
Leadership  for   National leaders in short supply.

#3 Oct 01, 2020 12:29 pm

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:

Watching the UK news, and with their newly introduced early closing of pubs and bars large crowds have been congregating on the street. Are they lemmings trying to jump off a cliff?

I am supportive of reduced restrictions so as to allow the economy to bounce back, but common sense says wear masks near people, and keep a sensible distance. Not this lot, what eejits.

Speaking to a Travel agent this morning.  I had to because my flight was no longer published.  She basically said how the hell folks can be that foolish.  She said wearing a mask and keeping your distance is the only life saver we have right now.  Then she said if my governor, De Santos would stop following his dad Trump,  Florida would be just fine. Do not know this woman, but said those words one minute into our conversation.

She sound like ah Hillbilly or Deep South.

#4 Oct 01, 2020 9:04 pm

Expat
Active

Dancer wrote:

Covid 19  made Brexit   talks in the UK take a back seat .  But reading behind the pandemic  news England is up the creek with  its Brexit negotiations .
PM Johnson should be  doing  better  after all  his  hype for years.
Leadership  for   National leaders in short supply.

Bungling Boris, was a lying fact distorting self aggrandising no hoper that struck lucky, when Theresa May couldn't get get the party to rally.He is just like Trump, full of hot air, and lacking in substance. The tradgedy being the election options were so poor with Jeremy Corbyn in charge of the Labour Party at that time I would have voted for Johnson as well.

The Brexiteers are just like hard line Trumpists, it doesn't matter how many tons of sheit are dangling over their heads they still say it is all smelling like flowers.

As a Brit origin I have had my views about the Common Market. Way back when it was introduced I was against it because it meant crapping on the Commonwealth. I have found fault with many of the stupid things that have come out of it, I have been annoyed that they were assembling the united states of Europe, and that they increased the members to the point places outside of what I consider Europe were involved. I was ticked Britain has been a major contributor while most of the latest countries to join have been so poor and poorly run they were basically sucking up all the money Britain put in.

I have been ticked that European laws and processes intruded into UK sovereign affairs. Originally the Common Market was sold as a trading partnership, but slowly slowly unification became the way it was going.

Yet, I still would have voted to remain if I could have voted, simply because I recognised the damage that faced us when we left.

The Brexiteers pumped themselves up with it's all smoke and mirrors from the remainers, and we may have five minutes of pain, but it will be worth it. Which I believe is going to be BS.

I would not be surprised if the United Kingdom which was already having devolution issues would ultimately break into at least 2 countries with Scotland breaking away, and possibly Wales but less likely. Northern Ireland finally returning to the Irish as it used to be before partition.

Last edited by Expat (Oct 01, 2020 9:07 pm)

#5 Oct 01, 2020 10:38 pm

houston
Active

The face of Queen Elizabeth has been on every coin I've had in my pocket since I was born and long before that.
She has been a solid model of peace and unification for nearly 70 years. The world needs more of her courageous standing.

#6 Oct 01, 2020 11:30 pm

Expat
Active

Unfortunately many people simply see her and the job as being a overpaid public relations person. If that effective. Simply having banquets and giving the Christmas speech.
OK, there is privilege, but she and her family is constantly under the spot light, but regardless,she has been involved in the running of the Commonwealth from it's inception, she advises many prime ministers, particularly a long list of UK prime ministers, has a daily case load of papers of State to read and comment on. Represent the Country when younger in person. Entertaining foreign leaders , some nauseous like Mugabe, some well, put your own words like Trump, Hosting banquets, acting in official capacities as the head of sundry armed forces, etc, etc.  I am not actually a Royalist, any more than I want a Republic but I do think she has been one of a kind, which we shall miss when her time comes.

Board footer