You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Oct 01, 2020 11:13 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Benedict Arnold

What do non-Americans know of Benedict Arnold.  Have you heard of him?  How do the British feel about him?  Expat, did you learn about him in England?  I am curious.

#2 Oct 02, 2020 9:50 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Benedict Arnold

Trump - made the man from Iowa  -  think of  Benedict .

' This is so , so , very   , sad .
Americans in crisis.

' Slice send a bottle of 'Jack iron' for your pal.'
lol.

#3 Oct 02, 2020 7:47 pm

Expat
Active

I certainly know the name, and vaguely recall it has negative connotations, a quick Google reminded me... But yes forgetful or not I had heard of him.

You have to remember the American War of Independence is a very small part of British history. However pivotal it might have been.

The closest I got to it was in 1976 when there was an exhibition in Greenwich about that period, as the 200th anniversary.

Last edited by Expat (Oct 02, 2020 7:52 pm)

#4 Oct 03, 2020 9:45 am

New Historian
Active

BA was a proper hero - to the Redcoats! But not really, nobody likes a traitor, and he's the gold standard of traitors, hell they even named a Benedict Arnold after him!

#5 Oct 04, 2020 12:21 am

Expat
Active

North American History, Hmmm

Columbus, Pilgrim Fathers, King George and the Boston Tea Party, Civil War. Bloody French sticking their noses in Canada America done and dusted.

Then it was Africa, I can almost visualise the black and white images of West Africans and cocoa plantations in the old text book, Australia, New Zealand, India, Singapore and rubber, British history with Cromwell and chopping off Charles the 1sts bonce, Henry the 8th, Vikings, Picts, Romans, The Norman Conquest. I can't remember if the West Indies even got a mention. Probably our school books still had 3/4 of the World coloured a pinky red.

Oops how could I forget Drake and the Spanish Armada. 

So no America didn't shake the earth for us.

NH by the time you got there the books had probably been revised with no pinky bits, was UK history much different in your era.

Last edited by Expat (Oct 04, 2020 12:38 am)

#6 Oct 04, 2020 12:44 am

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

BA was a proper hero - to the Redcoats! But not really, nobody likes a traitor, and he's the gold standard of traitors, hell they even named a Benedict Arnold after him!

That's true. Even though he went over to the British, they never really respected him.  The tolerated him but, as you say, nobody likes a traitor.

After the war he lived in exile in England and was never very popular. The people in one town in which he lived burned him in effigy for reasons having nothing to do with his treason... they didn't like him for other reasons. 

He was almost hanged by the French in the West Indies barely escaping.

Ironically, about the only thing he ever did that was really successful was leading troops against the British before his traitorous behavior.

#7 Oct 04, 2020 12:49 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

That's what I figured.  I didn't learn much about the UK in public school either.   Lots of American history, lots about why immigrants left Europe.  We learned about the Pilgrims but learned nothing about the English puritans per se.  Everything in British history from Henry VII through Oliver Cromwell was soaked in religion and we were never taught much about that.

#8 Oct 04, 2020 10:32 am

Dancer
Active

Expat wrote:

North American History, Hmmm

Columbus, Pilgrim Fathers, King George and the Boston Tea Party, Civil War. Bloody French sticking their noses in Canada America done and dusted.

Then it was Africa, I can almost visualise the black and white images of West Africans and cocoa plantations in the old text book, Australia, New Zealand, India, Singapore and rubber, British history with Cromwell and chopping off Charles the 1sts bonce, Henry the 8th, Vikings, Picts, Romans, The Norman Conquest. I can't remember if the West Indies even got a mention. Probably our school books still had 3/4 of the World coloured a pinky red.

Oops how could I forget Drake and the Spanish Armada. 

NH by the time you got there the books had probably been revised with no pinky bits, was UK history much different in your era.

'that's a good one '     > So no America didn't shake the earth for us <   Ho,ho,ho.

"""  'We ruled the world buddy , America was backwater - says Expat ""
nasty.

Board footer