You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#11 Oct 09, 2020 7:55 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: NOW IF THIS PROFESSOR AT MORGAN STATE UNIVERISITY AND ALSO MSNBC

All of Europe is experiencing a second wave.  I think that just proves that the only way to really control the thing on a continental level is to shut everything down and force people to isolate.  That, however, just isn't sustainable. You can do it but, when you open back up, in it floods again.  This won't be over until their is natural herd immunity or vaccinated herd immunity.

#12 Oct 09, 2020 9:32 am

Expat
Active

A longer version of your succinct statement. smile

You can call it a second wave, it is simply the response to opening up, the virus is, and will continue to be out there indefinitely, until that now poo poo'd expression which all of the politicians and health people were bandying about previously, herd immunity is reached.  It doesn't matter whether it is natural, or induced by vaccine, herd immunity is what stops it, as it runs out of fuel.

The way I had been saying for weeks, and finally epidemiologists are starting to use their studies and data relevant to Covid and are reaching the same conclusion. Do not shut the place down, the entire economy, mental health, damage to our immune systems from non contact with normal bugs and germs etc is a greater damage to our wellbeing that the few  deaths incurred in a generally healthy population. If you are that risk averse, don't drive to work. The Authorities have created a panic which they cannot easily stop.

Keep the elderly, chronically sick, and high risk people in a form of lockdown. Let the younger less affected get on with living, and when the tipping point of immunity is reached let the vulnerable back out.

China is thriving. The rest of the World is in the toilet. Airlines going going gone, even London’s transport network is under threat. Retail outlets going, food outlets going, factories closing. You cannot just turn the place into a Marie Celeste.

It is a nasty illness for sure, but our response has been way out of step with the realities.

Every data collection point is recording Covid related deaths.... Related, maybe, but somewhere I noted only 6% are the actual prime cause. The way they are logging deaths is skewing the stats, which s not only bad for now, but bad going forward when they try to use statistical data to plan medical treatments for say Cancer for example.

There is a group of highly qualified and influential Epidemiologists who have started the Great Barrington Declaration which is gaining traction, and requests those that support the proposal to sign.

Currently, and rising 5,523 Medical and Public health scientists, 11, 148 Medical Practitioners, and 153,760 members of the public have signed.

Accessible from gbdeclaration.org

On the site is a short half hour video where 3 of the 4 participants explain their perspective, the 4th was only participating via Zoom.

There is also a 2 hour recording of the meeting which was hosted by a journalist, who asked many questions, and then it was thrown out to the other journalists that were there.

No one is saying go and run to your granny and give her the illness, no one is saying do not wear masks.... although the proof is out there that they do next to zero to protect you, and definitely no one is saying do not exercise scrupulous hygiene, or keep your distance. What is being said is just let people get on with living, let the younger healthier people go through the virus phase, and then we can both have an economy, and get back to some semblance of normal.

We are starting to have treatments, we have learned not to ram air into compromised lungs, the killing fields of the early treatments are over. Although there are still unfortunately too many deaths, the rate is vastly less than it was at the begining. Instead of fanning the flames and just adding to the original high mortality rate, they should reset the data to reflect the later stage of events rather than piling them on top of the debacle which was the beginning.

Last edited by Expat (Oct 09, 2020 9:39 am)

#13 Oct 09, 2020 10:01 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Good post.  I don't disagree with any of it.  Iowa has taken a lot of crap for never shutting down completely and being wide open now but we were also listed as the 49th state in terms of negative impact of the virus.

My daughter took a huge risk scheduling an all outdoor wedding and reception on October 10 in Iowa.  It could have been rain, sleet, snow, near freezing temps.  It is going to be sunny, breezy and 75F/24C tomorrow.  She lucked out but all the evidence suggests that unless someone coughs right in your face, it is very difficult to get it outside.  Life goes on, right?

#14 Oct 09, 2020 12:22 pm

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:
Slice wrote:

Congrats on you daughter wedding.  Doh get to drunk.  Still doh takes chances.  Read story that the bride and groom dead from COVID, just two weeks after wedding.

Bet they were doddering old farts about 90 years old... )

I need sources on that, nothing springs up regarding the event.

Expat,there are so many cases of bride and groom who died after wedding.  Some came from CNN, not sure if you go believe it.  Will try and find one and post.

Man that boutique  Hotel close to you look real good. Expensive like SHITE.  Condos startig at almost ah million.  Villas already sold out. I think it is called The Point at Calavigny.

Visited it under construction and lord, I was impressed.  Build by Grenadians and also owned by Grenadians.

#15 Oct 09, 2020 4:55 pm

Expat
Active

It seems like a timeshare, otherwise it can't work, and if it is a time share that bubble has burst already, so too little too late.

Maybe...

#16 Oct 09, 2020 4:56 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Good post.  I don't disagree with any of it.  Iowa has taken a lot of crap for never shutting down completely and being wide open now but we were also listed as the 49th state in terms of negative impact of the virus.

My daughter took a huge risk scheduling an all outdoor wedding and reception on October 10 in Iowa.  It could have been rain, sleet, snow, near freezing temps.  It is going to be sunny, breezy and 75F/24C tomorrow.  She lucked out but all the evidence suggests that unless someone coughs right in your face, it is very difficult to get it outside.  Life goes on, right?

Go on proud Dad, post some piccy's   smile

#17 Oct 09, 2020 5:05 pm

gripe
Active

Expat, I had a similar reaction as you did (not the age comment) as I read Slice's post about the apparent tragic end to the newlyweds. But, I have not done any searching and trust that your research is solid. Otherwise, Slice can provide the reference to the story.

Board footer