You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Oct 29, 2020 3:33 pm

Expat
Active

We live in a World dominated currently by 2 nations

One is China, the old boy on the block that is inexorably taking over the World via stealth and skulduggery.

The other is America, the country that has been ramming itself down our throats for decades. It does not live in isolation, it has inserted itself into all our lives, whether it be by feeding us films, Big Mac's or Coco Cola. Although some might think the only qualification for "knowing" America is having boots on the ground, we the outsiders have been living in its shadow for so long we can almost speak with a Brooklyn twang.

Absolutely true we the outsiders do not appreciate fully the differences in States between Michigan, and South Dakota, but you know what, for many many Americans I'll bet if they have never been out of their own hood they haven't got a clue either.

There are subtleties of Law, and Politics and probably several other things we don't deal with in our daily lives, that we the outsider don't appreciate.

But, just the same, a Londoner who has stayed south of the border probably closer that one State separated by another does not really know the Scottish way of life. Which may not be an altogether bad thing. The Mars Bar coated in batter and fried, or the Haggis are not things many Southerners might wish to experience.

However we now live in a very open border World, where families live on different Continents, where we access news live and direct from all over the World, or at least from locations we chose. We are not actually as ignorant of each other as some might have us believe.

CNN, Fox, ABC, News from Chicago, New York, Baltimore, it's all out there to be received at the click of a mouse, The Nanny State of California, to the bullish Texas.

I don't know for others, but whereas British News is rarely on American News networks, we get a fair dose of American issues on British News Channels, and have done for decades. So even without hunting for it, we are aware of the North American Continent. While I think many Americans would admit they know very little about what happens outside their borders. Luxembourg... where’s that in Germany?

#2 Oct 29, 2020 3:53 pm

Slice
Active

Re: We live in a World dominated currently by 2 nations

I honestly think the rest of the world wants to be America. In the America thinking, China or Russia or anybody else, doh really matter. I honestly think that is the mistake the average Grenadian is making.  America is about ah million Grenada.  That is how different America is from Grenada.

Some experts are saying America is vastly underpopulated.  They are shooting for ah billion Americans.  Now lets suppose America say lets open our borders and shoot for ah billion?  Every country in the world will be lining up to come to America.  Once you know how to make America work for you, and you put in the hard work, it will be very beneficial.

Last edited by Slice (Oct 29, 2020 3:55 pm)

#3 Oct 29, 2020 8:46 pm

houston
Active

No offense to the Aussie's but that twang is one that gets under my skin.
Eevaryy weeord seead neeads to be streeatched oout.

#4 Oct 29, 2020 9:08 pm

houston
Active

This sounds more like it.

eevarie weeord heeas to be streeached eeout.

Yeah, that's annoying.

#5 Oct 30, 2020 9:49 am

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

This sounds more like it.

eevarie weeord heeas to be streeached eeout.

Yeah, that's annoying.

Yeah, but be careful how you shovel the snow off your Ruff in Canada  smile

Board footer