You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Nov 21, 2016 10:40 pm

Corporal Naught

VOTE NO ON ALL SEVEN CONSTITUTIONAL BILLS ON NOVEMBER 24TH.

The current constitutional amendment process, designed from its origins - to address in part some of the contradictions of Grenadian nationhood, must be defeated in the national referendum on 24th of November. 

The idea of a Grenadian nation, founded as it is on seldom acknowledged histories of conquest and colonialism, has long been vulnerable to competing claims between the elites and the ordinary person within the state. The failure of the Francis Alexis Constitution Reform Advisory Committee (CRAC) is based on a slew of misgivings, ignorance, flawed procedure and an astounding prima facie violation of the constitution itself. Moreover, the constitutional process became politize. The failure of Alexis to protect the process from political interference is shocking.

The Grenadian constitutional reform process must be a holistic process. It must first follow laid down procedures – as was done by the South African in 1994. It must be brought to the people in every nook and cranny in all four corners of the nation including the diasopra. It must not be politicized.

The process is hijacked by the elites in Grenadian society to the benefits of themselves. The proposed amendments are to benefit the political and judicial elites – with more power distributed amongst themselves to the detriment of the ordinary Grenadian. The process does not address the total emancipation of the constitution to make it Grenadian by making it home grown and totally eliminating the vestiges of colonialism. The process is designed to protect Francis Alexis – against him losing another constitutional reform process –  rather than the interest of the Grenadian people.

The current process is designed to elevate and promote the legacy of Thief Mitchell, the corrupt current prime minister of Grenada. The current process fails to make the comprehensive reform that Grenadians demand – an entrenched Charter of Rights – namely: The Grenadian Charter of Rights and Responsibilities. The current process is astonishingly flawed procedurally.

Based on those callous flaws – Grenadians are urged to abandon their habitual political quiescence and to deliver a resounding “NO”  to all proposed seven constitutional bills – sending a strong message to the Grenadian elites who calculatedly and with great malice – hijacked the constitutional reform process.

Constitution-making, by its very nature, and by the procedures laid down by written constitutions like the 1973 Grenadian document – is a forum for negations. The whole idea of this negation is for the people to reach a consensus about the rules by which they choose to be governed and the relationship they will have with the State.  Francis Alexis and his CRAC team failed to garner any bi-partisan support for comprehensive negotiations.

Full analysis of the proposed constitutional changes reveals a number of troubling truths. First, CRAC implemented unheard practices in modern constitution-making that are wholly inconsistent with modern procedures.  CRAC should have had total autonomy without any political interference from the government of Thief Mitchell.  In other words, the formula for amending the Grenadian constitution failed to follow the mechanism by which it is allowed flexibility with the intent to stand as a lasting authority. The scope and character of Grenadians’ individual rights – both positive and negative – to the extent of comprehensive reform – was totally ignored.

The people of Grenada do not know what they are asked to vote for. This is clearly a violation of the essence of constitutional reform. While this brief analysis does not go into other areas of the flawed constitutional process – what is clear is that there is a constitutional crisis in the making on the Grenadian horizon.

In this regard, the Grenadian people are urged to vote comprehensively NO on the seven proposed constitutional bills on November 24th 2016.

The process was hi-jacked by the elites, namely the politicians, the lawyers and the two-faced hypocritical so-called religious leaders in the country – to benefit themselves.

The constitutional process was not holistic – and so the ordinary Grenadian has nothing to benefit from the process. VOTE NO on all SEVEN BILLS!

In addition to the above criticisms, the nineteen flaws and violation to the Referendum Act - as pointed out from another analysis from the letter posted below – further underscore why the process should be defeated. Francis Alexis and his CRAC – along with the government of Grenada, including the elites in Grenada, ought to be made a mockery of – for their callous disregard for the views of Grenadians.

DEFEAT THE PROCESS!

VOTE NO ON ALL SEVEN BILLS NOVEMBER 24TH 2016.

bristol_1.jpg

bristol_2.jpg

CNaught.

#2 Nov 22, 2016 12:33 am

gripe

Re: VOTE NO ON ALL SEVEN CONSTITUTIONAL BILLS ON NOVEMBER 24TH.

CN, I agree with you that the Referendum should receive a big "NO" from the Grenadian people. I reached that conclusion based on the flaws highlighted in Attorney Bristol's letter to the Supervisor of Elections. I see that you included that letter in your post and also made some other arguments --  some repeated in your piece -- to support your position calling for the defeat of the Referendum.

But, aside from my agreement with your position and that of Attorney Bristol's regarding the upcoming Referendum, I wish to make an altogether different observation: why was it necessary for you (as Slice also did) to start a new thread on the Referendum topic when a post already existed before your post and Slice's?

I think that it is more efficient for us to keep original posts flowing by responding to them rather than start a new thread on a topic on which an original post already exists in the forum. I make the observation with the clear understanding that none of us, including me, has the right to tell anyone which post to respond to at any time, day or night. Yet, my desire for efficiency pushed me to make the comment.

In some ways, my comment about efficiency (or lack thereof) has a connection to the Referendum shortcomings that Attorney Bristol's letter and some of your comments address. Inefficiency is eating away at Grenada in a number of ways, including in the flawed process surrounding the proposed Referendum. We have to be mindful about our actions at every step and, with that mindset, being efficient at what we do goes a very long way . . . towards success!

#3 Nov 22, 2016 7:54 am

Slice

gripe,  that was my bad.  I did not realize you posted on this very topic.  Gee me time to get accustom to the New shop.  But keep in mind, Talkshoppers have ah mind of their own.

#4 Nov 22, 2016 8:00 am

Slice

Corporal Naught wrote:

The current constitutional amendment process, designed from its origins - to address in part some of the contradictions of Grenadian nationhood, must be defeated in the national referendum on 24th of November. 

The idea of a Grenadian nation, founded as it is on seldom acknowledged histories of conquest and colonialism, has long been vulnerable to competing claims between the elites and the ordinary person within the state. The failure of the Francis Alexis Constitution Reform Advisory Committee (CRAC) is based on a slew of misgivings, ignorance, flawed procedure and an astounding prima facie violation of the constitution itself. Moreover, the constitutional process became politize. The failure of Alexis to protect the process from political interference is shocking.

The Grenadian constitutional reform process must be a holistic process. It must first follow laid down procedures – as was done by the South African in 1994. It must be brought to the people in every nook and cranny in all four corners of the nation including the diasopra. It must not be politicized.

The process is hijacked by the elites in Grenadian society to the benefits of themselves. The proposed amendments are to benefit the political and judicial elites – with more power distributed amongst themselves to the detriment of the ordinary Grenadian. The process does not address the total emancipation of the constitution to make it Grenadian by making it home grown and totally eliminating the vestiges of colonialism. The process is designed to protect Francis Alexis – against him losing another constitutional reform process –  rather than the interest of the Grenadian people.

The current process is designed to elevate and promote the legacy of Thief Mitchell, the corrupt current prime minister of Grenada. The current process fails to make the comprehensive reform that Grenadians demand – an entrenched Charter of Rights – namely: The Grenadian Charter of Rights and Responsibilities. The current process is astonishingly flawed procedurally.

Based on those callous flaws – Grenadians are urged to abandon their habitual political quiescence and to deliver a resounding “NO”  to all proposed seven constitutional bills – sending a strong message to the Grenadian elites who calculatedly and with great malice – hijacked the constitutional reform process.

Constitution-making, by its very nature, and by the procedures laid down by written constitutions like the 1973 Grenadian document – is a forum for negations. The whole idea of this negation is for the people to reach a consensus about the rules by which they choose to be governed and the relationship they will have with the State.  Francis Alexis and his CRAC team failed to garner any bi-partisan support for comprehensive negotiations.

Full analysis of the proposed constitutional changes reveals a number of troubling truths. First, CRAC implemented unheard practices in modern constitution-making that are wholly inconsistent with modern procedures.  CRAC should have had total autonomy without any political interference from the government of Thief Mitchell.  In other words, the formula for amending the Grenadian constitution failed to follow the mechanism by which it is allowed flexibility with the intent to stand as a lasting authority. The scope and character of Grenadians’ individual rights – both positive and negative – to the extent of comprehensive reform – was totally ignored.

The people of Grenada do not know what they are asked to vote for. This is clearly a violation of the essence of constitutional reform. While this brief analysis does not go into other areas of the flawed constitutional process – what is clear is that there is a constitutional crisis in the making on the Grenadian horizon.

In this regard, the Grenadian people are urged to vote comprehensively NO on the seven proposed constitutional bills on November 24th 2016.

The process was hi-jacked by the elites, namely the politicians, the lawyers and the two-faced hypocritical so-called religious leaders in the country – to benefit themselves.

The constitutional process was not holistic – and so the ordinary Grenadian has nothing to benefit from the process. VOTE NO on all SEVEN BILLS!

In addition to the above criticisms, the nineteen flaws and violation to the Referendum Act - as pointed out from another analysis from the letter posted below – further underscore why the process should be defeated. Francis Alexis and his CRAC – along with the government of Grenada, including the elites in Grenada, ought to be made a mockery of – for their callous disregard for the views of Grenadians.

DEFEAT THE PROCESS!

VOTE NO ON ALL SEVEN BILLS NOVEMBER 24TH 2016.

https://s18.postimg.org/x56v4ln3p/bristol_1.jpg

https://s15.postimg.org/d3o09wbtz/bristol_2.jpg

CNaught.

Listening to the radio station in Grenada yesterday, I got the feeling Grenadians are very confused.  The spokesman that was presented, one Senator Humphreys, was not helping out the situation.  One caller said a poll shows, that it will be defeated and the senator got mighty upset.  Maybe I am wrong, but ah just doh  tink this thing should be Political, as they make it out to be.  This should be a joint effort, by all Political parties and the people of Grenada.

Board footer