You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Nov 09, 2020 9:33 am

Expat
Active

So, this back patting from Pfizer

I may be getting this arse about face, but everyone is jumping up and down saying this could be it.

From the quick interview today the BBC health expert said from the 43,000 people trialed  there was something like 94 or so that got the virus, and 90% of those were in the placebo group.

I just don't get it.

We have no idea how many of those trialed were in the actual entire placebo group, we have no idea how many of those innoculated have been exposed to the virus, as there wasn't a challenge trial on those patients, and we are pretty confident something from 80% to 90% will never either be infected or show any symptoms.

What we do know is of the 10% of that 94 who were infected had been innoculted.... THEY GOT IT... What are we celebrating?

#2 Nov 09, 2020 10:15 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: So, this back patting from Pfizer

It is good news 90% is about as good as any vaccine ever gets.  They were hoping for 70% effectiveness.   Some models start showing benefits of herd immunity in as low as 40%.

This is very good news indeed!

#3 Nov 09, 2020 11:17 am

Expat
Active

But did you read what I wrote?  Where does this 90% come from.

Out of 43,000 people so far 94 were infected... now that HAS to be naturally occuring infections, as for as far as I know they are not doing human challenge trials.

If it was 42,906 not infected that is way way better than 90%.

But no they are talking about 90% of a group where 90% of them were on placebo a total group of 94.  The 90% success rate is total bullshit. it's more like .00001%

I know maths isn't my best subject, but I can't be that far off.

And, if the 10% of the 94 actually caught the virus it did frig all.

I vaugely remember the 43000 was just the number of vaulunteers, whe actual test group was only going to be around 140 odd selected from that huge number.  I am fairly sure they are giving you Vaccine Unicorns to look at.

If it is about the 140 odd people in the actual test group... then they have proved next to nothing.

Last edited by Expat (Nov 09, 2020 11:23 am)

#4 Nov 10, 2020 11:16 am

Dancer
Active

If you are into vaccines , Mr Pharma  . Like RD said 90%  gets  a high 5.

" So the experts are saying , to date.

#5 Nov 10, 2020 12:22 pm

Expat
Active

Dancer wrote:

If you are into vaccines , Mr Pharma  . Like RD said 90%  gets  a high 5.

" So the experts are saying , to date.

Again you don't seem to have read a word I have written. You cannot look at the subject line asd skip. You need to read the content. Hard I know, buts that's the way it is.

Go slow, inwardly digest, re read a couple more times, and maybe, just maybe you will not be swept up by the BS that the media is promalgating.

#6 Nov 10, 2020 1:30 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I don't understand the math either but I suspect they do and it isn't something that can be debunked in a few lines on Talkshop.

#7 Nov 10, 2020 3:02 pm

Slice
Active

So Expat, you have got to show more proof, that it is not 90% effective.  So far everything ah heard and read, from leading scientist, are saying the same thing.  The experts see the distribution system and also storage as the most difficult part of it, but not one is saying it is not 90% effective.

Ah think ah go be release from me second prison by Friday.  Still stuck ah home doing repairs and additions.  Lord this was not in the plans for this trip.  I am kinda happy I am here to oversee this work doh.

#8 Nov 10, 2020 11:52 pm

Expat
Active

If you do a google all you are going to get is the "official line" so don't expect to find too much to counter what big pharma puts out.

I am waiting patiently for Thursday, because pound to a penny the Highwire will have a much better grasp on the truth than the mainstreem is putting out.

Like I keep on saying, they provide all the data points they use. It is not as if they just make stuff up. Also thy use leading experts in the fields who are not tied to the megga companies. They have either retired, or have their own independant research companies, or they just have big balls, and are gambling they won't lose their work. But they do not have "skin in the game" as they say. I would rather trust them than someone on a humungous grant, or expecting to get a big job at pfizer after this is over.

#9 Nov 11, 2020 12:05 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I don't understand the math either but I suspect they do and it isn't something that can be debunked in a few lines on Talkshop.

I am far too ignorant to debunk anything, I merely parrot as best I can the information that comes my way.

It is bound to be oversubscribed so watching may end up having to be the recording later in the day, but the Highwire/watch is live at 2pm eastern. I cannot believe they wont shred that info like scissorhand.

You really need to stop being a doubter, and become an observer. You don't have to believe everything they say, but they do support their point of view logically for the most part. They stick with the concept that the masks are bloody useless, and have illustrated why several times. But they will always say. Protect the vulnerable until this thing has gone away. Me I agree with the way they don't stop airosol movements of air, but still in close quarters I would hedge my bets and wear a mask. Properly, not under my nose like 80% of the staff in ACE.

They call themselves an on line independent news channel, supported voluntarily by subscribers, but it's free to watch.

Board footer