You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Nov 11, 2020 12:29 pm

New Historian
Active

Asmara – Djibuti – Nairobi

I've no doubt said this before but Expat wants to read it again:

Thursday, 6 June 2002

Yesterday, there was one helluva sandstorm; the locals call it “taka". It's the same dust I saw the previous day in Khartoum and is very unusual at this time of the year. It means that rain, a precious commodity up here, is coming, so people bear it in good spirits. Clogs up your nose, chokes the throat, covers everything in a fine red dust. By the end of the day I was gagging; had to imbibe liquids to keep moist.

Eritreans are a good looking people. Smooth dark skin, thin noses, curly locks and fine features. And pretty women. About half the population are Muslim, and the women saunter round town, swathed in several layers of muslin robes (Muslims in muslin?). Very slow, unhurried. People stroll slowly across the road; and the cars patiently wait for them to cross. The entire town dies for long, leisurely lunches, and probably a little siesta afterwards too. Eritrea is the last country on earth without cellphones (“Eritrea: The Final Frontier”).

Leaving Asmara had a slight problem, and had to rush to the Immigration Office, to get some magic piece of paper, before heading to the airport. Made it ok though. My plane stopped in Djibouti (in Djibouti) on the way down to Nairobi. Ho hum, another slum. Just before we landed in Nairo, I realised that the man in the seat directly behind me, who had been chatting to his mate the whole flight about “secession”, was, in fact, none other than John Garang, leader of the Sudanese People's Liberation Army. A quick check on the net reveals:

Human Rights Watch/Africa reported that the SPLA was guilty of, amongst other things, summary executions, indiscriminate attacks on civilians, the deliberate starvation of civilians, abducting civilians, mainly women and children, torture, forced recruitment and forced labour, theft of civilian animals, food and grain, and the THE SHOOTING DOWN OF CIVILIAN AIRLINERS, incidents involving considerable loss of civilian life.

Good thing no one decided to put a SAM-7 missile up his arse on that particular flight.  He got off in Nairobi, met by an official car.

Last edited by New Historian (Nov 12, 2020 1:07 pm)

#2 Nov 11, 2020 12:37 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Asmara – Djibuti – Nairobi

Either I missed it first time round, or it is a refreshingly new yarn.

A bit late in the day to suggest you use a filing system for when posts were placed....

#3 Nov 11, 2020 12:46 pm

New Historian
Active

"A bit late in the day to suggest you use a filing system for when posts were placed...."

Sounds like something my OCD brother would do. Too much like hard work mate.

#4 Nov 11, 2020 1:25 pm

Expat
Active

So we have to suffer... SMH.

#5 Nov 11, 2020 2:57 pm

Slice
Active

I am sure Dancer will let you know if it was posted before.  Kinda New read for me.

#6 Nov 12, 2020 12:20 pm

Dancer
Active

Slice do you know what a " taka ' is ?

learning   mah boy.

Tall Tales first paragraph was pretty  good . Then we got into the people ,  Eritreans chicks ,  next Asmara , Djibouti and Nairobi .....

Pay attention and learn Slice.
sad.lol.

Last edited by Dancer (Nov 12, 2020 12:20 pm)

#7 Nov 12, 2020 1:10 pm

New Historian
Active

PS: John Garang, the rebel with a penchant for blowing up planes, eventually was killed - when his helicopter mysteriously "crashed".

Board footer