You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Nov 11, 2020 6:41 pm

Expat
Active

Some one who is good at maths

Can probably work this out... It may seem daft, but maths really was never my best subject.

We have round figures 10,000000 cases, and again round figures 420,000 deaths to date. The one goes into the other 41.6 times. But I cannot beat my brain to figure out what percentage the deaths is of the cases.

#2 Nov 11, 2020 8:24 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Some one who is good at maths

420,000 divided by 10,000,000 times 100 equals a mortality rate of 4.2 percent. But are you talking about the UK? Cos I believe the deaths there are about 42,000, not 420,000, which would make the mortality rate 0.42%, which is more believable.

#3 Nov 12, 2020 10:09 am

Expat
Active

No that was a rounded down version of Americas figures yesterday.

I repeat stuff, but that does not mean I don't challenge what has been written, so if your matyhs are up to snuff, then the quoted death rate of .25% is off by a big margin. But then again, America has been following some pretty useless strategies for treating patients. Rather than making an intervention the case is basically left to develop until it is critical and THEN they intervene presumably for fear of being sued for using unauthorised medications.

#4 Nov 12, 2020 10:36 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

America has been following some pretty useless strategies for treating patients.

Oh bullshit.  The case rate right now is 20 times what it was in the spring and the hospitalization rate is in the red zone.  Yet the case mortality rate is a tiny fraction of what it was in the spring.  Clearly they are much, much better at treating it than they were six months ago.

Get over your prejudices.

Opera-Snapshot-2020-11-12-083526-ourworldindata-org.png

#5 Nov 12, 2020 2:08 pm

Expat
Active

No one is denying they are not killing as many people as they did at the begining. (not malicious, simply a learning curve) If they were still ventillating everyone who came in with a cough you would need mass graves to cope with the carnage. Since they and every other country stopped ventilating at the drop of a hat the death rate plumeted.

What I was looking for was a true indication of the ratio between infections, and deaths at this time. As the source of information is principally talking about America is why I am trying to figure out Americas ratio. We or rather I keep being told it is 0.26% But NH using my figures I believe came up with 4.2%.

Can you come up with something different.

Last edited by Expat (Nov 12, 2020 2:10 pm)

Board footer