You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#11 Nov 17, 2020 8:12 pm

Expat
Active

Re: BARBADOS removes Lord Nelson statue

I woz more than partly right

>In the letter scratched out at his desk on Victory, Nelson proclaimed: “I have ever been and shall die a firm friend to our present colonial system.” He went on to explain: “I was bred, as you know, in the good old school, and taught to appreciate the value of our West India possessions; and neither in the field or in the senate [House of Lords] shall their interest be infringed whilst I have an arm to fight in their defence, or a tongue to launch my voice against the damnable and cursed doctrine of Wilberforce and his hypocritical allies.”<<

Cited from History Extra a BBC on line magazine.

He actually married the niece of a slave owner from Jamaica, and was buddies with the owner of 3 plantations with 2000 slaves.

My view is he was genuinely a hero, and was doing what he was commissioned to do as a Vice Admiral of the Royal Navy, ie protecting Britain’s territories, and fiscal interests. He was a product of his time, and just as you are hardly likely to find too many Generals becoming peaceniks, so he lived within the framework he was born to.

I kinda go with NH, that whether Statues of Cavelliers or Roundheads, or those that had less than shimmering records in some directions, they were part of ALL our histories, and is just as useful as a reminder of what went before that was bad, as well as what was good. It helps us create perspective.

The guy that was toppled in Bristol was definitely a Slaver, so deserves some ire, but he was also a a great philanthopist in Bristol, he founded a school which has been teaching black kids for decades as a by product. Not just that but aparently many things in the area. One doesn't excuse the other, but again what is done 3/4/5/6/7/800 years ago can never be judged with the moral codes of today.

Last edited by Expat (Nov 17, 2020 8:36 pm)

#12 Nov 17, 2020 8:51 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: BARBADOS removes Lord Nelson statue

Expat wrote:

I woz more than partly right

>In the letter scratched out at his desk on Victory, Nelson proclaimed: “I have ever been and shall die a firm friend to our present colonial system.” He went on to explain: “I was bred, as you know, in the good old school, and taught to appreciate the value of our West India possessions; and neither in the field or in the senate [House of Lords] shall their interest be infringed whilst I have an arm to fight in their defence, or a tongue to launch my voice against the damnable and cursed doctrine of Wilberforce and his hypocritical allies.”<<

Cited from History Extra a BBC on line magazine.

He actually married the niece of a slave owner from Jamaica, and was buddies with the owner of 3 plantations with 2000 slaves.

My view is he was genuinely a hero, and was doing what he was commissioned to do as a Vice Admiral of the Royal Navy, ie protecting Britain’s territories, and fiscal interests. He was a product of his time, and just as you are hardly likely to find too many Generals becoming peaceniks, so he lived within the framework he was born to.

I kinda go with NH, that whether Statues of Cavelliers or Roundheads, or those that had less than shimmering records in some directions, they were part of ALL our histories, and is just as useful as a reminder of what went before that was bad, as well as what was good. It helps us create perspective.

The guy that was toppled in Bristol was definitely a Slaver, so deserves some ire, but he was also a a great philanthopist in Bristol, he founded a school which has been teaching black kids for decades as a by product. Not just that but aparently many things in the area. One doesn't excuse the other, but again what is done 3/4/5/6/7/800 years ago can never be judged with the moral codes of today.

Well said Expat, couldn't have said it better myself - and you know that's high praise indeed!! smile

Board footer