You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Jan 08, 2021 10:32 am

Dancer
Active

Days Of Black Reflections - Insurrection in U.S.

As  a  black person  I have spent time reading/ hearing  of the black response  .
Here are some paragraphs  From a black  writer   :  Roxanne Jones  , writing a CNN piece. (yesterday)  .... that sums it all up.

>> This is what it looks like when toxic white privilege is left unchecked  << ( Storming of  the Capital )

.....For many Americans , myself included , it evoked a recurring nightmare .
So many of us have felt that this nation has been teetering on the brink of chaos for a long time.
We knew there would be a reckoning.
.. To be black in America is to live in constant trauma  ... and we have ourselves to blame.
--- Yesterday , on the Capital is what it looks like when  Toxic white privilege is left unchecked.

Black folk across the nation watched that siege and we know in our Souls that had those rioters been black , they would have faced deadly force.
.... So like in Georgia , we must fight smarter , by forcing democracy to work for us.

#2 Jan 08, 2021 6:41 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Days Of Black Reflections - Insurrection in U.S.

They did manage 4 dead rioters, and one dead policeman, so it wasn't exactly unneventful.

But as I wrote to someone else today, I think it had as much to do with being totally outnumbered for one, and apart from the agittators on the steps and inside, while those outside were vocal.... some even saying "we love you man", to a policeman in the doorway, but it was a large crowd, with only a reletively few smashing in and trying to wreak havoc. Its when you have large police numbers, and an equivelent crowd pushing down barriers and hurling bottles etc that it goes tits up.

#3 Jan 08, 2021 9:04 pm

New Historian
Active

My son lives in Philly and from the things and pictures of everyday stuff that he sends, I worry. This ain't the America I remember. This uber-American genie that the Turd has released, will not go back into its bottle peacefully.

#4 Jan 09, 2021 12:03 pm

Expat
Active

I know racism exists the wWorld over, not just between Blacks and Whites, but differing groups,sometimes of the same colour, its US and THEM... But while its nasty smell exists in the UK, to a certain extent, ignorance is everywhere... But the festering undercurrent born of the exploitation on home soil of those poor slaves of years ago is frankly sickening.

Board footer