You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Jan 09, 2021 12:13 pm

Expat
Active

Sound levels

For me the agro ends as the Red Gate Farmers Market buggers off from the 6th of February. Yayyy

But today I actually got the chance to shout at the DJ as usually the sounds are running on auto, but today he was there.

I wandered down with my Db app on my phone, and while we cannot miss it from our house it is around 50-60Db, it is annoying if you don't want to listen to some of the crap he plays, but it isn't deafening.  (a little edit, as usual around 3pm the sound goes up a notch, more like 60 plus on the verandah so definitely intrusive if you want your own equipment on and it causes you to have to turn up your volume to block theirs out), I didn't wander down closer, not my problem, if they want to go deaf, then thats up to them.)

However IN the market it is around 75 to 80 Db when not close to the speakers.

In front of the speakers its a different matter. While I was there it peaked at 102Db, and I know it is often louder.

So I tried to inform him he was deafening the person with their stall in front of the speakers. He kind of just looked stupid and indifferent and carried on.

I spoke to the woman in front and told her when she goes deaf it will be his fault, but she just sat down and continued to be deafened.

To quote Dance Sad.

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/hearing_loss/w … _loss.html

Last edited by Expat (Jan 09, 2021 9:22 pm)

#2 Jan 11, 2021 11:28 am

Slice
Active

Re: Sound levels

Well you should of done, what me and the guy who killed himself did.  Report to the police.  It was a problem especially on weekends.  Little did I know, that there are laws governing noise in our hood.  We reported and the noise became lower and it stops or become very low after 11pm.

#3 Jan 11, 2021 12:11 pm

New Historian
Active

"Well you should of done, what me and the guy who killed himself did."

Bwoy yuh jus' drop that one braps!

#4 Jan 11, 2021 6:44 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Well you should of done, what me and the guy who killed himself did.  Report to the police.  It was a problem especially on weekends.  Little did I know, that there are laws governing noise in our hood.  We reported and the noise became lower and it stops or become very low after 11pm.

This is from 7.30 am ish until 630/7ish in the evening, so not at a time of day where too much attention is going to be paid attention too.

Truth be told some pissant cars half the size of a mini drive past and pump bass into your ears far louder than these guys have been doing.

My point was it is a bloodyy silly little vendors market, why the hell do they need a loud disco anyway, background noise should be adequate.... even if you want to throw "it is our culture" out there... and yeah you guys do like to make a lot of noise, you shout at each other when you are 2ft away from each other, but my point was the Disco is set up with a vendor right in front of it, and the sound quality is so bright it hurt my ears for just the minute or two I was in close proximity. So what it is doing the the vendor I cannot imagine, but she didn't seem to mind, Well see if she goes deaf prematurely.

Today I was running my weedeater, and I put the Db meter on it, and yep it was running at around 97Db when on full tilt, but even though it is loud, and I should be wearing ear defenders at that volume... it is not as hurtful as the Disco is.

You should be really greatful you and your buddy wot killed heself managed, as it took months of complaints too the people directly and through the police to get a sensible response from the Sound systemm that used to operate in the Junction almost every month running out to 2, 3, and 4 in the morning even when not carnival time, with bass that made every window in the house chatter. I even had a Seargent when it was being discussed with the Inspector say that it was young fella's trying to make a few Dollars.
Well they were given turn down times, and close down times, and they repeatedly didn't comply, so they lost their permissions, and silence is golden.

Had they complied with the rulings, I would have sucked it up, I might not have liked it, but it is what it is, but when you have been told  "what we expect is this and that" and then you just carry on the same way... Glad to see the back of you you stupid idiot.

The good news is the vendors market is moving, and will be gone by the 6th of February, but what comes next? Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Last edited by Expat (Jan 11, 2021 6:46 pm)

#5 Jan 12, 2021 8:40 am

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

"Well you should of done, what me and the guy who killed himself did."

Bwoy yuh jus' drop that one braps!

Ah kinda learn that being in Grenada.  Grenadians do not beat around the bushes, they tell it like it TIS.

#6 Jan 12, 2021 8:51 am

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:
Slice wrote:

This is from 7.30 am ish until 630/7ish in the evening, so not at a time of day where too much attention is going to be paid attention too.

Truth be told some pissant cars half the size of a mini drive past and pump bass into your ears far louder than these guys have been doing.

My point was it is a bloodyy silly little vendors market, why the hell do they need a loud disco anyway, background noise should be adequate.... even if you want to throw "it is our culture" out there... and yeah you guys do like to make a lot of noise, you shout at each other when you are 2ft away from each other, but my point was the Disco is set up with a vendor right in front of it, and the sound quality is so bright it hurt my ears for just the minute or two I was in close proximity. So what it is doing the the vendor I cannot imagine, but she didn't seem to mind, Well see if she goes deaf prematurely.

Today I was running my weedeater, and I put the Db meter on it, and yep it was running at around 97Db when on full tilt, but even though it is loud, and I should be wearing ear defenders at that volume... it is not as hurtful as the Disco is.

You should be really greatful you and your buddy wot killed heself managed, as it took months of complaints too the people directly and through the police to get a sensible response from the Sound systemm that used to operate in the Junction almost every month running out to 2, 3, and 4 in the morning even when not carnival time, with bass that made every window in the house chatter. I even had a Seargent when it was being discussed with the Inspector say that it was young fella's trying to make a few Dollars.
Well they were given turn down times, and close down times, and they repeatedly didn't comply, so they lost their permissions, and silence is golden.

Had they complied with the rulings, I would have sucked it up, I might not have liked it, but it is what it is, but when you have been told  "what we expect is this and that" and then you just carry on the same way... Glad to see the back of you you stupid idiot.

The good news is the vendors market is moving, and will be gone by the 6th of February, but what comes next? Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Honestly, Grenada is a very simple society, but at times extremely complicated.  It is amazing if you know a COP or someone kinda high up in society, how quickly things can be done.  I refuse to go that route.  I do not  drop name, I try to be Mr Simpleton.  Ah also kill them with kindness.  When they going crazy the Grenadian way, ah just smile and be real sweet to them.  Ah doh tink they know my game.

Board footer