You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#11 Jan 26, 2021 8:55 am

Expat
Active

Re: New Historian, have you seen Small Axe?

New Historian wrote:

Small Axe is a good example of the two Bob Marleys. When he became famous he re-recorded some of his earlier ska and rock-steady songs, into a more modern heavier reggae format.

First:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eciArkBTeBM

Second:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnGBJAnYA9E

Aaahh, see, mr Expat didn't click to the significance of the series title.Oh Mr Expat  Duhhh.

Yep, Marley was definitely not an overnight success. I have a cassette... yep, really, a cassette, from his very early days, and rather like the skaa influence, some of the same tunes that went World Wide and will probably be played for years to come were really very third rate when they were first recorded.

#12 Jan 26, 2021 9:16 am

Slice
Active

Seems like something ah might watch.  Ah see some Shortnee in the previews.

#13 Jan 26, 2021 12:48 pm

Dancer
Active

Man  NH  knows his Reggae.

#14 Jan 27, 2021 6:10 pm

Dancer
Active

" Man NH knows his Reggae.   aaaaah  ,  hold on a bit . lol.

" He might Never have heard of  a 1981  reggae album    *Brain Damage* -Denis Bovell
Let's see ?"

Brain Damage 2015 :
Digitally remastered version of this  1981 album by one of the masters of Dub and reggae.
The album contains a blistering array of styles including afro beat , skataliteish , rhythm and blues , jazz and straight up soul . 16 tracks including 'Bettah' and popular track EMI2006 .

" Surfing , killing some time , utube , butt up on someone  , selling  the album for $130 Canadian.
Lord ! I have one. . ....... , where is it ? My brother  told me to check it ... 1981...oh !

Gotta get the remastered   .'

" But to NH  ..... this reggae  classic ,,,,,               .......no clue  ?  lol.

#15 Jan 27, 2021 6:57 pm

New Historian
Active

Bovell, one of those Black English reggae producers, did a lot of work with Linton Kwesi Johnson. Never really penetrated Jamaica.

Last edited by New Historian (Jan 27, 2021 6:57 pm)

#16 Jan 29, 2021 11:58 am

Dancer
Active

Short to the point and true.
Many know not of  Bovell.

Board footer