You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Apr 15, 2017 10:19 am

Expat

Microsoft could close down the World

Or some hacker could do it for them.

They have there office Apps and stuff selling at so much a month.... Rip Off....

But the key thing is they have it all in the cloud.... dumb in the largest extent, as again a hack and all your functionality is gone. Not to mention having FLOW you are likely to lose connectivity at any time.... No internet no work flow.

Yes I have data stored in the cloud, but it is elsewhere too. 1TB drive gone bad was enough of a wake up for me.

But I like my programs... Old fashioned word for Apps to be on MY machine. Plus paid for and done.

#2 Apr 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Real Distwalker

Re: Microsoft could close down the World

Your risk is immeasurably more if you don't have your data in the cloud.   Everything I have both personally and for business is stored in data centers somewhere.  Your hard drive crash should have taught you that.

#3 Apr 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Real Distwalker

You still have the option for locally hosted applications.  That isn't going away.

#4 Apr 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Expat

As I stated I have cloud storage. linked to 4 devices.

Beware random settings changes..... I changed folder settings, and next time I started up ALL my data had gone pooooof.  Slight panic followed by moment of rational thinking with a folder options change, and shazaaam they were all back.

Perhaps I misunderstood the 365 Office, I was under the impression the Apps were accessed online.

I also guess that an annual subscription equates to an upgrade every 4 years or so. So more like hire purchase. Excepting if you stop paying I guess you are dead meat.

Board footer