You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Feb 17, 2021 12:30 pm

Dancer
Active

Today Is Ash Wednesday .....

NOW  up North  its a so, so  , day     ....  not  so  in the Caribbean . 

... Ash Wednesday is today . It marks the first day of Lent in 'Western churches'
LENT which last 40 days (not including Sundays - I learned that ) - is a season of prayer, penance and  fasting  in preparation for the Easter season .
BACK THEN  people were forbidden to eat  meat , fish  and only 1 meal a day. Many Christians still fast today , but it is a lot different.
Instead , they give up watching TV, social accounts ,? , drinking soda, alcohol or other pleasurable activities (? ) Until the fasting ends on Holy Saturday.

' What are you giving up for lent  ?   Think about it . Have some discipline , lo.
I am thinking .........

#2 Feb 17, 2021 1:22 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday .....

I always go to a soup supper and service on Ash Wednesday.  Not this year.  Church is still shuttered.  It's time to open back up.

#3 Feb 17, 2021 1:52 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday .....

In Catholic school we'd go to service in the morning and see how long we could leave the ash cross on our foreheads - any excuse not to wash! I know what I'm gonna give up this year: flying!

Board footer