You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Feb 18, 2021 11:44 pm

Expat
Active

Some great news

Well it is for me, but I had to get you to open the thread.

I have been in a holding pattern with my kidney disease for I dunno, maybe 20 years. Initially diagnosed and treated with drugs by the UK health service. From what I have seen the treatment would probably have been the same if I was in the good old US of A. It is generally how patients are treated thanks to good old Big Pharma. Blood Pressure tablets "to protect your kidneys" Statins, well just because we think you should take a statin as well as the BP tablet. That’s it.

Thankfully after coming to Grenada I figured out what the blood tests meant, and I got onto my MD who put me onto the Consultant who also put me onto the dietician.

While all this was going on I researched sundry books and websites, good old Google and YouTube as well.

Bit by bit I kicked off the mantle of normal medicine. I dropped the statin by the consultants suggestion, but after that, very quickly I stopped taking all the other recommended medications, and simply took Iron supplements, and a good multivitamin.

For years I have been pretty stable, an achievement in itself, as according to some Nephrologists studies often people on the graphs slide down a scale from ok, to a needing a transplant/dialysis often in about 5 years. Certainly life expectancy on dialysis is often only around 5 once you are on it.

However here I am, doing my own thing, eating carefully, fairly low protein, but not ridiculously so, veggies when I can get them, and as little carbohydrate as I can manage. Plenty of exercise, loads of SUN for my vitamin D etc.

Long story short, although I have already rambled. My last check up the Consultant tells me what I already knew from reading the report myself my levels had me almost in the NORMAL scale…

He even said I am just short of not needing to even be checked on a regular basis, ie. If it improves further I would be out of the CKD spectrum.

Now I may ramble on about Diabetes, which is a self inflicted illness, and heart conditions etc… but all the info is… Once you have CKD it is a slow ride to the mortuary. Yet Mr Man is telling me maybe it’s not so.

So those who like to poo poo my supposedly cranky ideas because the only mantra you know is that laid out by the drug companies… think again.

#2 Feb 19, 2021 9:49 am

Slice
Active

Re: Some great news

Congrats PADNAH.  That ah could believe. The diabetic story could be ah very long one, and because my own brother-in-law decided to go against taking medicine, he is no longer a diabetic.  It is constant battle.  It is not an easy fight for him.

#3 Feb 19, 2021 3:30 pm

Dancer
Active

A great post Expat. 

Story for lots of people dese days .

#4 Feb 19, 2021 4:25 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Congrats PADNAH.  That ah could believe. The diabetic story could be ah very long one, and because my own brother-in-law decided to go against taking medicine, he is no longer a diabetic.  It is constant battle.  It is not an easy fight for him.

If he goes full non carbohydrate, which he can do without worrying about sugar being too low..if he is already out of the duibetic range he can after 60-90 days literally call himself cured, and as long as he doesn't go mad with the carbohydrates after that he will not have to worry about diabetes again.

Once you cells know they are not being bombarded with insulin they listen, so then you are not diabetic anymore.

Board footer