You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Feb 21, 2021 4:39 pm

Dancer
Active

There are 4,300 religions in the world.

So now you know. lol.
Says 'Adherence' an independent , non religious organization.

7 Major Religions of the world.

Christianity ... 2.3 billion ....
Islam  ... 1.9 Billion
Hinduism ... 1.16  Billion
Buddhism ... 506 million
Confucianism  --
Taoism --
Judaism --

Secular :: Non religious , Agnostic , Atheist  ... 1.1 Billion
Rastafari  :  ... .6 million.

#2 Feb 21, 2021 4:50 pm

Expat
Active

Re: There are 4,300 religions in the world.

I don't think non religious should be recognised as a religion... surely it means they were brought up or decided they weren't religious, so have no belief system, Agnostics are wusses they are just sitting on the fence, and the best bunch the Atheists, simply do not believe, so that is their belief system.... I gave in on that one... LoL.

#3 Feb 22, 2021 9:35 am

Real Distwalker
Active

No, agnostics are non believers.  They don't know and don't depend on faith.   Believers and atheists each depend on faith to support beliefs they cannot prove.  Atheism is absolutely, positively a faith based belief system.

#4 Feb 22, 2021 1:20 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

No, agnostics are non believers.  They don't know and don't depend on faith.   Believers and atheists each depend on faith to support beliefs they cannot prove.  Atheism is absolutely, positively a faith based belief system.

Pretty much what I said except you have stated Agnostics do not believe, when I think a better description is that they do not know one way or the other... hence sitting on the fence. A place I perched for several decades.

>>a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God.<<

Ergo you cannot prove or disprove what you cannot know about.

#5 Feb 22, 2021 2:08 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

So they are sitting on the fence.  Unlike me, they have no faith that God exists.  Unlike you, they have no faith that God does not exist.   They don't know.  Without faith, I can't be a Christian.  Without faith, you can't be an atheist.  Unlike you and me, agnostics have no faith.

Scientists can't prove that the universe isn't an illusion.  In fact, there is some compelling physics that point to it being a hologram.  You can read the actual science in the link at the bottom.  It has nothing to do with religion.

So, if theoretical physists can't prove that the universe isn't an illusion, yet somehow you KNOW your five senses perceive everything there is to perceive and nothing beyond your intellect and the confines of the universe that transcends your understanding.

There is a word for the way in which you KNOW that: Faith.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg … -illusion/

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Feb 22, 2021 4:12 pm)

#6 Feb 22, 2021 3:58 pm

Expat
Active

yep, kinda what i sad from the get go.

#7 Feb 22, 2021 9:19 pm

New Historian
Active

"There is a word for the way in which you KNOW that: Faith."

Your contradiction is glaringly hilarious: faith is the opposite of knowledge!

#8 Feb 22, 2021 9:53 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Faith isn't the opposite of knowledge.  That is nonsense.  I am a man of faith and I have a wealth of knowledge on scores of topics.  I have a deep understanding of the arguments of atheists and could probably argue their case better than most of them.  I spent more than half my life as a non-Christian and have a deep knowledge and understanding of their views and beliefs.  Further, I have broad and deep understanding of the flaws and contradictions of scripture and off-the-shelf Christianity.  There is nothing about my faith that precludes knowledge.

Faith is simply believing something that you can't prove or know with certainty.  We probably all have faith in something. You are certainly a man of faith in all manner of things.

Expat is a man of deep faith.  He has faith that he has a knowledge of the universe, what preceded it, what will follow it and what is beyond its confines.  He has faith that the universe is an inert happenstance that has no meaning or purpose and no reason for existing.  He can prove none of this, he just believes it.  That is faith.

#9 Feb 22, 2021 11:20 pm

Expat
Active

I wish I knew as much as you seem to think I do. Maybe I don't have the level of faith you do.

Board footer