You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#11 Mar 30, 2021 3:39 pm

Expat
Active

Re: WONDER WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO NEVER RETURN TO THE PLACE OF BIRTH

Maybe it's a pink tinted glasses thing, but the pre and post War eras of Britain had a comfort to it that is missing in that very cosmopolitan country where you have to duck and dive through all kinds of political correctness, and observe the cultures of people that CHOSE to bring themselves to a country who's culture they dissagree with.

The UK has evolved for centuries with victors imposing their languages and methodologies, and more recently Hugenot's and other refugees from civil unrest who fitted in and adapted. Even dare I say our West Indian comrades have with little quirks integrated without demanding we did more than not discriminate against them.

But regardless of race, but rather religion impose their values on the masses. Even silly things like Sieks getting the rules changed so they could wear their turbans when riding a motorbike, when everyone else has to wear a crash helmet. Or also they are permitted to carry their ceremonial knife when everyone else would be arrested for a dangerous weapon.

Nowadays Councils have to print instructions in about 10 different languages, or provide interpreters, and with some communities this is for people who have lived in the country for decades. But the Husbands chose to keep their imported wives ignorant of the outside World.

The police for a very long time avoided interactions even when they were obviously events happening that would normally be dealt with for fear of being alledged to be discriminating.

One for all and all for one.  Government/Police don't be meaow cats.
All for one, and one for all.  That goes for the rules as well as for people.

#12 Mar 30, 2021 4:09 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

I have noticed the odd gush of patritism about Iowa on the odd occasion.... wink

Fair enough.

#13 Mar 31, 2021 11:14 am

1Luv
Active

Slice wrote:

I met and was friends with four Grenadian men, who was born in Grenada, but never returned. Every time I speak to them, and I ask, when you going back, they all keep saying soon Slice doh worry.

Three of the four maintain their culture, ah mean they love the Caribbean music, the food and everything Grenadian, but more than forty years later they have never returned to Grenada.  Every time ah return from Grenada I bring one, a bottle of Clarkes Court. It is like ah bring him gold.  He will not share that bottle of rum

Ah keep wondering are they not curious about what they left behind?  What is in life that will keep folks away for so long? Even if the culture is still in you.  God that must be real tough.

I can understand if they hate to fly. I get that, I hate airplanes, but ah have to go.  None are  scared of Air planes.

Ah swear one day ah go find out.

Hope you keeping safe Slice -- Just browsing --
Reading this post one aspect is not a valid passport and the authorized status to re-enter the USA.
One no longer have to go there physically.  Many locals are streaming live on FB drive around on the island since Covid protocols were put in place.  Junior Checkley is at this site -- even streaming funerals -- then drive around -- sunsets at beaches -- no need to go there anymore -- if that's their decision.    This past weekend he streamed from Carriacou and PM.  Lots of videos of his drive around for them to see and enjoy the vibes there.

https://www.facebook.com/justcoolphotos/

And stop asking them -- then they will stop lying to you and make them feel guilty for doing so  -- they not going back -- PERIOD.

#14 Apr 01, 2021 7:03 am

Slice
Active

Totally disagree.  Nothing can physically replace being  there in person. So if I am buying your argument, why do you visit so often? Nothing can compare to visiting, Expat and sitting on his verandah and listening to some good old talk.  Nothing can compare to seeing all your friends or acquaintances bursting ah lime on Syracuse, BBC or any other beach.

Ah mean during carnival time two years ago about 20 of us made ah cook on the beach, it was one of the best lime, I ever had in more than 35 years.

How looking at ah picture is going to replace ah lime in the fish market or the market close to the stadium? How can looking at a picture replace ah walk through the tunnel, and you wondering if someone go push you into traffic.

Let me say this, this is one of my best feeling, waking up at 5am with ah cup of coffee, ah cigarette and sitting on my verandah watching the sun rise.

Pictures and videos are not true replacement.

Hope you know this version of Talkshop is partly owned by you.  You the one pushed and pulled and did everything you can to make sure it stayed open. Thanks  to you we are still here, and have no plans to make Talkshop disappear.

The shop owe you ah bunch.  Just wish the same way your post your positive vibes on FB, you do the same here.

Board footer