You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#11 May 03, 2021 11:20 am

Slice
Active

Re: Freedom from Religion . ....... Ron Reagan ....

Dancer wrote:

Thought I'll give some atheists some news. On a Sunday.

How Ron Reagan , son of a true believer , became an atheist.
Ron Reagan , the son of President Reagan , who helped inspire the religious right , stars in a 30 second spot on TV for the Freedom from religion.
* Emperor has no clothes Award
................... Faith will fade , religions will flower and vanish , but reason remains . reason is where I put my faith, if you will . Reason is where I stand, and I am happy ....

Advertising  Atheists , Lord !

Me and him are brothers.  Doh believe in that crap.  Ah way to take folks monies and have them believe in something, that do not exist.  They have their purpose, but count me in as ah Reagan alike.

#12 May 03, 2021 8:15 pm

houston
Active

New Historian wrote:
houston wrote:

A boy is selling fish on a corner. To get his customers' attention, he is yelling, "Dam fish for sale! Get your dam fish here!" A pastor hears this and asks, "Why are you calling them 'dam fish.'" The boy responds, "Because I caught these fish at the local dam." The pastor buys a couple fish, takes them home to his wife, and asks her to cook the dam fish. The wife responds surprised, "I didn't know it was acceptable for a preacher to speak that way." He explains to her why they are dam fish. Later at the dinner table, he asks his son to pass the dam fish. He responds, "That's the spirit, Dad! Now pass the f*cking potatoes!

LOL predictable but still chuckle-worthy. In Jamaica any fish, mainly tilapia, that doesn't come from the sea is derisively called pon'-fish. Mudfish. Shitfish.

I did not know that Tilapia was not a sea fish. It's sold along side Red Snapper here at the market and the filets look very similar. Price wise, Tilapia is usually fairly cheap but I tend to avoid fish that has been shipped in...how fresh could it be.
Also read a story about some of these markets selling ocean fish that not what it is labeled as. So yes, you have to know your fish as the price for premium isn't cheap.
The Shitfish here would be from the sucker family, mainly Carp (a giant Goldfish) and Catfish. Although Catfish has gained in popularity. Well seasoned and served as blackened Catfish on some high end menus.
The best local fresh fish is Yellow Perch, Pickerel (Walleye) and Trout of any type ( my favourite is Rainbow)
Sorry to get of topic from the original post but fish are a godly thing.

#13 May 03, 2021 8:29 pm

New Historian
Active

In the 1980s I was the manager of a fish farm in Jamaica, at our height producing 4 million pounds of fish per year. That's an awful lot of fish to sell, and we needed to break into the export market in the USA. I knew a guy who knew a guy, and that guy was the chief buyer for Publix Supermarkets, Florida’s biggest chain. We arranged a meeting and went to see them in Miami, taking samples cooked in various styles. That sealed it: the Publix people only talked about the fish for five minutes – they were too busy eating it! When it came to exactly what kind of fish it was, we were a bit hazy. Because it looked like a snapper we called it a snapper, sort of. We branded it as “Fresh Snapper”, which if anyone really wanted to know was a freshwater snapper. Sort of. But they didn’t want to know, it had passed the most important test - with flying taste buds.

Fish-farm-3.jpg

Fish-farm-4.jpg

Spring.jpg

#14 May 03, 2021 8:37 pm

houston
Active

Sushi is another popular item here for many. I'm not keen on anything raw but have tried a bits. Not so bad but not something I would purchase. Again, how fresh could it be?
Mind you, the high end Sushi restaurants pay a fortune for the quality Tuna and other creatures that they serve.

#15 May 03, 2021 8:45 pm

houston
Active

New Historian wrote:

In the 1980s I was the manager of a fish farm in Jamaica, at our height producing 4 million pounds of fish per year. That's an awful lot of fish to sell, and we needed to break into the export market in the USA. I knew a guy who knew a guy, and that guy was the chief buyer for Publix Supermarkets, Florida’s biggest chain. We arranged a meeting and went to see them in Miami, taking samples cooked in various styles. That sealed it: the Publix people only talked about the fish for five minutes – they were too busy eating it! When it came to exactly what kind of fish it was, we were a bit hazy. Because it looked like a snapper we called it a snapper, sort of. We branded it as “Fresh Snapper”, which if anyone really wanted to know was a freshwater snapper. Sort of. But they didn’t want to know, it had passed the most important test - with flying taste buds.

https://i.postimg.cc/MMPVJtdz/Fish-farm-3.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/5jy8Sd2y/Fish-farm-4.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/sGMSjSN7/Spring.jpg

Interesting, thanks man.

#16 May 05, 2021 12:19 pm

Slice
Active

When you been spoiled all your life, it takes ah bunch to change your way of thinking.  Expat lives in Grenada, where he can dictate, to anyone he comes in contact with.  Talkshop is not so.  The shop was built to argue. Having said that, ah still miss he OLE WHITE ARSE.

Now ah cant get no more natural medicines.  Slice do not beg.  Ah very humble, but me ent begging.  I am to proud to beg.

#17 May 05, 2021 6:10 pm

houston
Active

Speaking of fish, this one was a monster.
I've stumbled across a few dead Sturgeon washed up on the shores of Lake Huron, maybe 80lbs in size. They are a very prehistoric looking fish. If I'm not mistaken, their roe it known for some top quality caviar. Not that fish eggs would be a favourite of mine.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.freep.c … 7411644002

Board footer