You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 May 14, 2021 8:58 am

Slice
Active

LORD AH HOPE AH IN GRENADA, BEFORE THE PLAGUE ARE FULL BLOWN

Looking at the tree in front me house this morning ah see about 20 of the plague emerging. These pestilences after 17 years hidden are here.  Cant enjoy backyard until they are gone.  Talking Cicadas.

#2 May 14, 2021 9:35 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: LORD AH HOPE AH IN GRENADA, BEFORE THE PLAGUE ARE FULL BLOWN

They don't really hurt anything.  I mean, they are loud but don't do any damage.  We have an annual species in Iowa.  Their song sounds like summer to me.

I am told people eat them in some parts of the world.

#3 May 14, 2021 10:16 am

New Historian
Active

In Uganda they're called nsenene, they remove the wings and fry them up with chili powder, actually quite tasty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nsenene

#4 May 14, 2021 7:30 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

They don't really hurt anything.  I mean, they are loud but don't do any damage.  We have an annual species in Iowa.  Their song sounds like summer to me.

If I had my choice I would go for the Cicada. Much more meat on them and full of protein. Those swarms of scrawny Locusts take a lot of time to skew up.

#5 May 14, 2021 8:46 pm

New Historian
Active

Cicada or locust, aren't they first cousins? Give me them any day over mopani worms, in all my time in Zimbabwe I never plucked up the courage to try them. Especially when I heard that mopani worms were particularly fond of "adipocere" - rotting human flesh! The Zim government issued a health warning, telling people to stop harvesting the worms in cemeteries, where half the bodies died of AIDS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxumYn8qkU8

#6 May 14, 2021 9:17 pm

houston
Active

I don't know, those mopani don't sound very appetizing. Similar to earth worms that are added to dry toilets to help speed up the composting process.

#7 May 15, 2021 10:15 am

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

Cicada or locust, aren't they first cousins?

They are very different although the names get used for both.

A locust is a grasshopper. During certain environmental conditions, it changes its appearance and behavior and swarms.  When it isn't swarming it is a grasshopper.  In swarming mode it is a locust.  It's that simple.

Cicadas are something completely different.

#8 May 16, 2021 8:42 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Was watching different ways to eat them right here in Baltimore.  Not other country, right here in these United States.

#9 May 16, 2021 8:45 am

Slice
Active

houston wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:

If I had my choice I would go for the Cicada. Much more meat on them and full of protein. Those swarms of scrawny Locusts take a lot of time to skew up.

Given a choice, ah eating them bastards before crocs, Iguanas, snakes and worms.

Board footer