You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#11 May 22, 2021 8:42 pm

houston
Active

Re: The unexplained

"Still there must be other technological civilizations out there but finding us would be like finding one specific grain of sand on all the beaches in the world.  I don't believe it has happened."

We are an intelligent bunch, as far as we know. We have learned to utilize just about every material found on earth and used those materials to explore the environments of the moon and Mars as we search for new materials.
Is it not conceivable that one of those other grains of sand has materials that are way beyond what we could imagine?
We simply don't know. So far all samples of rocks and dust from moon and Mars tell us no.

#12 May 23, 2021 9:11 am

Real Distwalker
Active

We know all the stable elements.  I mean, there are only so many ways that electrons, neutrons and protons can arrange themselves in a stable fashion.  This the Periodic Table of the Elements.  In fact, even today,  scientists can determine the chemical compositions of distant planets and stars using spectrography.

It seems unlikely that there is going to be any naturally occurring assembly of these elements that would provide a substitute for something as elemental as metals.

#13 May 23, 2021 2:45 pm

houston
Active

If those scientific details can be determined from a distance, why spend billions on missions to collect samples? Just curious, as I sure don't know.

#14 May 24, 2021 8:21 am

Real Distwalker
Active

At a distance only general detection is possible when there is great quantities.  The point isn't that everything can be detected with spectrography. The point is that the same elements and molecular assemblies exist throughout the universe.

Board footer