You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Jun 20, 2021 2:24 pm

Dancer
Active

What is JUNETEENTH NY Times

JUNETEENTH , an annual holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the USA .   It has been celebrated by African Americans  since the late 1800s.
......  On June 19  , 1865 . Two months after the Confederate General  (Robert Lee ) had surrendered . A UNION General arrived in Texas to inform enslaved  Africans Americans of their freedom .
That announcement put into effect the emancipation proclamation which had been issued 2 plus years ago on Jan 1 1863 by Pres Lincoln.

................ btw .. Official US holiday.    (((last week.

#2 Jun 21, 2021 10:18 am

New Historian
Active

Re: What is JUNETEENTH NY Times

Of all the times I've lived in the States, I've never heard of anyone talking about Juneteenth. Do I think it's a good idea to have a holiday? Why not? America doesn't give enough vacation time, one more wouldn't hurt!

#3 Jun 21, 2021 12:10 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: What is JUNETEENTH NY Times

JUNETEENTH .... Lo .what is it ?

... is historically known as
Jubilee day
Black independence day
Emancipation day.

Btw ..... I wonder if RD knows any real American history , and  if he thinks . JUNETEENTH is  cancel culture or  'critical race  theory'   being  pushed down his throat.
RD , just trying to make the US a better place to live.

WHman !!!

Board footer