You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Jul 07, 2021 7:07 pm

Dancer
Active

WHY HAITI ?

Haiti's President Jovenel Moise assassinated at home by    Spanish speaking  mercenaries  yesterday.

** Haiti became the world's first black led republic  and the first Independent Caribbean state when it threw off French colonial control and slavery.

* Haiti had to pay REPARATIONS to France ( compensation for former slave owners. ) from 19th century to 1947.

............ REPARATIONS  to slave owners.  ha.

#2 Jul 08, 2021 11:38 pm

1Luv
Active

Re: WHY HAITI ?

Who financed this assassination?

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ … 021-07-08/

PORT-AU-PRINCE, July 8 (Reuters) -
A heavily armed commando unit that assassinated Haitian President Jovenel Moise this week comprised 26 Colombians and two Haitian Americans, authorities said on Thursday, as the hunt went on for the masterminds of the brazen killing.

#3 Jul 09, 2021 7:17 am

Slice
Active

Waiting on answers

#4 Jul 09, 2021 12:58 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

You wouldn't like my answer but I will give you a clue:  There is a reason Barbados is so well run and Haiti isn't.

#6 Jul 09, 2021 9:29 pm

houston
Active

Some how that article has changed from the original.
Different photos and different story compared to the one I attached and double checked for reference after sending.
Very creepy! Looks like Bill C-10 has already gone into effect here in Canada.

#7 Jul 09, 2021 9:51 pm

New Historian
Active

The first time I went to Haiti was in 1975; a bright-eyed university student from Jamaica. We stayed in a cheap B&B in downtown Port-au-Prince, went to galleries, danced to the infectious meringue rhythms in street cafes, went to a voodou ceremony, and ate poulet de montagne, a local delicacy containing the strangest looking “chicken” bones I’d ever seen – I loved it!

I was enthralled at the vibrant culture; but at the same time appalled by the extreme poverty I saw in Port-au-Prince on a daily basis: women washing babies in the gutter; flies and filth intermingled with food. In Jamaica we had poverty, terrible poverty in Kingston’s ghettoes; but nothing like this.

The next time I went to Haiti was twenty years later, in 1995. I could never have imagined that, 20 years after my first visit, the seventies would be looked upon fondly as the good old days. In 1975, Haiti was poor, but at least it was vibrant, you could feel the energy. By 1995, not only was Haiti poorer, worse yet it was depressing.

In 1995, Haiti had a per capita Gross National Income of US$269 per annum (source: World Bank); less than the price of the proverbial good dinner in Paris (haven to many of Haiti’s fleeing ex-dictators, such as the odious Baby-Doc Duvalier). Repeat: this is average income per year - the scale of poverty is hard to comprehend. How do people live? Long gone were the vibrancy and optimism I had experienced in 1975; after two more decades of grinding poverty and dictatorial excess, any remaining optimism in Haiti had been replaced by a sense of physical, mental and spiritual weariness; a loss of hope.

Haiti may be the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, but if there is one thing Haitians still have left it is their pride – lots of it. Haitians are very proud of their country, their history and their culture; sometimes (dare I say it?) excessively so.

D1000001.jpg

D1000005.jpg

D1000032.jpg

Last edited by New Historian (Jul 09, 2021 9:54 pm)

#8 Jul 10, 2021 10:58 am

Dancer
Active

NH
News , stories of Haiti  always seem to bring that same 'stock post' on talk Shop.
Why may I ask ?
Just asking ?

#9 Jul 10, 2021 11:41 am

New Historian
Active

Dancer wrote:

NH
News , stories of Haiti  always seem to bring that same 'stock post' on talk Shop.
Why may I ask ?
Just asking ?

Old age!!!

#10 Jul 10, 2021 7:25 pm

houston
Active

Good story and interesting photos. That voodoo stuff gave me plenty of nightmares when I was a kid.
No wonder I'm such a big fan of zombie movies.

Board footer