You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Sep 27, 2021 9:24 pm

New Historian
Active

Cruise ships heading for the scrapyard - do you see my tears?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=156565036476511

The cruise industry's bloodletting continues - fatally for some. Interesting piece on the logistics and economics involved in dismantling these floating mega-hotels, way more challenging than the usual ships bound for the breakers' yard! Turkey has EU regulations which makes it much safer, and better paid, than the Bangladeshi breakers. It takes a year to break up a cruise ship, taking out all recyclables, there's gonna be a glut of used beds and chairs on the market soon! Expensive too, the cruise lines will be lucky to break even per boat. Can you see it, my bleeding heart?

If you didn't already know: I hate the greedy blood-sucking exploiting polluting overcrowded super-spreading cruise ship industry - did I omit anything?

#2 Sep 28, 2021 12:50 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Cruise ships heading for the scrapyard - do you see my tears?

There is great news ahead.  Not cruise ships but American car makers.  GM plan to have 40% of their vehicles they make electric, in the near future.  Ford just invested 11billion in electric vehicles.  Mr Ford say that is the future.  I get this is the future, but I will never own ah electric vehicle.  I just love combustible engines.

#3 Sep 28, 2021 3:25 pm

Dancer
Active

'Good one slice -   ---   Future of Electric vehicles'

But I wonder about the noise less sound . Who is going to invent a sound of a noisy approach of the Electric auto. ?
.... Those battery operated scooters , ' full of silence or a slight whining ,,  just a menace on the roads. Lo.

The improvement in Electric cars is quite impressive.   ...  Major  manufactures on the  Job.
Driving range , average  , with no - recharge  , hovering around 300 miles.
Montreal to To ?
Not bad.

#4 Sep 28, 2021 3:40 pm

houston
Active

I read this story a while back. Made me think of NH and his love for the behemoths.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nytimes … d.amp.html

#5 Sep 28, 2021 4:32 pm

houston
Active

One of the originals sits at the bottom of the St. Lawrence. It went down in about 15 minutes.
Back then they were more a means of transportation rather than the floating hotels of today, mucking up the waters and the ports of call.

https://www.canadashistory.ca/explore/t … remembered

#6 Sep 28, 2021 7:01 pm

New Historian
Active

I'm also a petrolhead4life! Not even diesel do I like. Ahh those sweet fumes of high octane GASOLINE!! My wife and I still vividly recall and laugh at an interview we saw, decades ago. It was with a Louisiana Cajun oilman, a lifetime rig worker interviewed at a refinery. Sniffs the air: "Smell that? Know what that is, she's a cat-cracker, ain't thayat about the purtiest thing you ever smelt, in yur whole gad-darned life?? Gasoline!" We still don't know what a cat-cracker is - whatever this is lol:

A catalytic cracker, or "cat cracker," is the basic gasoline-making process in a refinery. The cat cracker uses high temperatures, low pressure, and a catalyst to create a chemical reaction that breaks heavy gas oil into smaller gasoline molecules.

Board footer