You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#11 Oct 09, 2021 7:32 pm

houston
Active

Re: DREADLOCKS, SHOULD BE A STATEMENT, NOT A FASHION

That is awesome!
The exhibit made it's way to Milwaukee and you were able to check it out on home soil.

#12 Oct 09, 2021 8:48 pm

New Historian
Active

One night in Georgetown DC, my girlfriend and I were strolling along, and on a whim I bought one of those fake dreadlocks wigs from called Hats in the Belfry. Wearing it, we went for beers and burgers at a piano bar called Smiths. We stayed there all evening, the piano man played a Marley song and dedicated it to "our Rastaman friend and his beautiful lady". Everyone commented on my "locks", even a guy next to me at the urinal "Cool dreads, man". Lord, is this what real Rastas have to put up with, all the time?

When we left we bid adieu to the bar, and I took off the wig and bowed!

#13 Oct 10, 2021 11:14 am

Real Distwalker
Active

It must have been an authentic looking wig, Rasta.

#14 Oct 10, 2021 11:18 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I may have told you this before...

I ran the phone company on Guam for a few years.  I had a contract with an advertising agency on island and got to be good friends with its Japanese/American owner.  While I was there, he opened a restaurant/bar.  He wanted all of his friends to give him special drinks to put on the menu named after them.

I had recently made a trip to Grenada where I learned a very nice rum punch recipe.  I gave it to him.

On the menu it said, "Rasta Rob's Rum Punch."  From that point until this day, my Japanese friend's nickname for me is "Rasta".

Only a Japanese person could refer to me as "Rasta".  When he calls me that, I often think of how absurd that would be to you guys.

#15 Oct 10, 2021 3:07 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

It must have been an authentic looking wig, Rasta.

That's the thing - it wasn't!

#16 Oct 12, 2021 9:48 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I may have told you this before...

I ran the phone company on Guam for a few years.  I had a contract with an advertising agency on island and got to be good friends with its Japanese/American owner.  While I was there, he opened a restaurant/bar.  He wanted all of his friends to give him special drinks to put on the menu named after them.

I had recently made a trip to Grenada where I learned a very nice rum punch recipe.  I gave it to him.

On the menu it said, "Rasta Rob's Rum Punch."  From that point until this day, my Japanese friend's nickname for me is "Rasta".

Only a Japanese person could refer to me as "Rasta".  When he calls me that, I often think of how absurd that would be to you guys.

Interesting, Ah just laughing me ARSE off.  I can honestly see NH as ah dread, but my God RD?  No way in hell.  You must be the cleanest Whiteman in all America.  In every pic I saw of you, you so neat and clean looking. you ah rasta?

Board footer