You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Oct 19, 2021 3:32 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Alternative History

St. George's Grenada, October 20, 1983 (AP): Yesterday Grenadian Prime Minister Maurice Bishop was released from house arrest in the Grenadian capitol of St. Georges.  Mr. Bishop was first taken to Market Square were he was expected to speak to supporters but was, after just a few minutes, redirected to the Cuban encampment at Point Salinas where a new airport is under construction.

Within an  hour of Mr. Bishop's release, armored vehicles manned by members of the island's People's Revolutionary Army (PRA) left Fort Frederick high above St. Georges and sped through the narrow streets of Grenada to Pt. Salinas.  Speculation in the capitol was that the Central Committee of the Politburo, now being led by Bernard Coard, had ordered the PRA to re-arrest Bishop.   

At the gate to the new airfield the PRA vehicles were met with what has been described by witnesses as a "well laid ambush" by Cuban forces.  The PRA vehicles were quickly destroyed and the troops manning the vehicles were killed. No survivors have been reported.

Three hours later a Cuban armed convoy took Mr. Bishop to the transmitter of Grenada Free Radio where the prime minister spoke to the nation. Mr. Bishop said that a coup d'etat against the government had been attempted but had failed.  He said that, with the assistance of Cuban forces, Mr. Coard, his wife and allied members of the Central Committee associated with the plot had been placed under arrest and were being held at Richmond Hill Prison.

While addressing Grenadians, Mr. Bishop said that he had just finished a telephone call with President Fidel Castro of Cuba and had received Mr. Casto's commitment to ongoing support of the people of Grenada and the Grenadian Revolution.  Mr. Bishop declared October 21st to be a national holiday and day of general thanksgiving.

In the United States, a Reagan Administration spokesman said that the administration hopes that this event fosters closer relations with the island nation now that the criminal hardliners in government have been removed from power and placed under arrest.

While armed Cuban military vehicles can be seen stationed at strategic locations around the island, the mood among the people has been jovial. Last night in St. George's, tens of thousands Grenadians loudly celebrated the failure of the coup with music, dancing, food and drink into the early hours of the morning.  Students from the St. George's University School of Medicine joined the celebrations.

Offline

#2 Oct 19, 2021 3:46 pm

Beautiful Bradly Bolton
Active

Re: Alternative History

I really can't understand why this isn't the story of October 19th, 1983. This is a play that Maurice should have had ready at all times. It's not like he didn't know who he was running with.

Offline

#3 Oct 19, 2021 4:01 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Alternative History

Coard thought about and worried about it. Here are excerpts from his book....



Opera-Snapshot-2021-10-19-150003-read-amazon-com.png


Opera-Snapshot-2021-10-19-150557-read-amazon-com.png


Opera-Snapshot-2021-10-19-151044-read-amazon-com.png

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Oct 19, 2021 4:11 pm)

Offline

#4 Oct 21, 2021 12:38 pm

gripe
Active

Re: Alternative History

RD, preemptive attacks, ambushes or other types of violence are not necessarily justified especially if the underlying assumptions for such (deliberate) acts, are mere speculation.

The available information on such a convoluted issue raised by your post tells me that the TRUTH about the October 1983 events in Grenada would not be fully revealed. Unfortunately, some key individuals are yet to provide their version(s) while others, years now deceased, cannot.

Offline

#5 Oct 21, 2021 3:08 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Alternative History

gripe wrote:

RD, preemptive attacks, ambushes or other types of violence are not necessarily justified...

True, but isn't that what actually happened on October 19th, 1983?  Wasn't what happened at Ft. George a preemptive attack that was raw violence?

All I did was lay out a scenario in which events of that day might have been very different.  It isn't a far-fetched scenario either.

Offline

#6 Oct 22, 2021 7:32 am

Slice
Active

Re: Alternative History

Beautiful Bradly Bolton wrote:

I really can't understand why this isn't the story of October 19th, 1983. This is a play that Maurice should have had ready at all times. It's not like he didn't know who he was running with.

Damn BBB, way you been?  I almost got to meet you in Grenada, but was to late.  Nice to see you again doh.  RD bought you out.

Offline

#7 Oct 22, 2021 7:34 am

Slice
Active

Re: Alternative History

gripe wrote:

RD, preemptive attacks, ambushes or other types of violence are not necessarily justified especially if the underlying assumptions for such (deliberate) acts, are mere speculation.

The available information on such a convoluted issue raised by your post tells me that the TRUTH about the October 1983 events in Grenada would not be fully revealed. Unfortunately, some key individuals are yet to provide their version(s) while others, years now deceased, cannot.

It pain me to hear the untruths that is coming from Grenada, especially from the likes of Hudson Austin.

Offline

#8 Oct 22, 2021 7:38 am

Slice
Active

Re: Alternative History

Beautiful Bradly Bolton wrote:

I really can't understand why this isn't the story of October 19th, 1983. This is a play that Maurice should have had ready at all times. It's not like he didn't know who he was running with.

Not sure if he knew. When the head of the army is saying he no knowledge of what was about to happen, this confuses me.

Offline

#9 Oct 22, 2021 7:46 am

Slice
Active

Re: Alternative History

Real Distwalker wrote:

St. George's Grenada, October 20, 1983 (AP): Yesterday Grenadian Prime Minister Maurice Bishop was released from house arrest in the Grenadian capitol of St. Georges.  Mr. Bishop was first taken to Market Square were he was expected to speak to supporters but was, after just a few minutes, redirected to the Cuban encampment at Point Salinas where a new airport is under construction.

Within an  hour of Mr. Bishop's release, armored vehicles manned by members of the island's People's Revolutionary Army (PRA) left Fort Frederick high above St. Georges and sped through the narrow streets of Grenada to Pt. Salinas.  Speculation in the capitol was that the Central Committee of the Politburo, now being led by Bernard Coard, had ordered the PRA to re-arrest Bishop.   

At the gate to the new airfield the PRA vehicles were met with what has been described by witnesses as a "well laid ambush" by Cuban forces.  The PRA vehicles were quickly destroyed and the troops manning the vehicles were killed. No survivors have been reported.

Three hours later a Cuban armed convoy took Mr. Bishop to the transmitter of Grenada Free Radio where the prime minister spoke to the nation. Mr. Bishop said that a coup d'etat against the government had been attempted but had failed.  He said that, with the assistance of Cuban forces, Mr. Coard, his wife and allied members of the Central Committee associated with the plot had been placed under arrest and were being held at Richmond Hill Prison.

While addressing Grenadians, Mr. Bishop said that he had just finished a telephone call with President Fidel Castro of Cuba and had received Mr. Casto's commitment to ongoing support of the people of Grenada and the Grenadian Revolution.  Mr. Bishop declared October 21st to be a national holiday and day of general thanksgiving.

In the United States, a Reagan Administration spokesman said that the administration hopes that this event fosters closer relations with the island nation now that the criminal hardliners in government have been removed from power and placed under arrest.

While armed Cuban military vehicles can be seen stationed at strategic locations around the island, the mood among the people has been jovial. Last night in St. George's, tens of thousands Grenadians loudly celebrated the failure of the coup with music, dancing, food and drink into the early hours of the morning.  Students from the St. George's University School of Medicine joined the celebrations.

  Why was Grenada such a treat to mighty America?  Was it Colin Powel who said ,if you break it, you must fix it . Now more than ever Grenada needs America. America must find a way to help Grenada now.  Not by giving to the Tiefing Keith NNP, but other ways.  I would always love some members of the PRG, but the same country I fought against as ah foot solider and village organizer, I now support.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB