You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Oct 29, 2021 10:27 am

New Historian
Active

"The other coloured chap"

I love this picture: my father at teachers' college in London in 1949. He'd done war service building Lancaster Bombers at the Metrovicks Factory in Manchester, prime target of the Luftwaffe. After it was all over he attempted to obtain his dream of studying law, but post-war England didn't need any more lawyers (whoever does?). They needed to rebuild their shattered industry and all his life my father was an excellent metalwork (as the Americans call it: shop) and technical drawing teacher. That's him in the back row.

The-other-coloured-chap.jpg

Last edited by New Historian (Oct 29, 2021 10:28 am)

#2 Oct 29, 2021 10:39 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: "The other coloured chap"

Very cool photo.  Your dad had an interesting life, that's for sure.

#3 Oct 29, 2021 7:30 pm

houston
Active

Great photo. All of those guys must have endured some tough times during and after the war.
It couldn't have been easy for a darkie from the West Indies but your dad obviously persevered and went on to have a good life that included being a responsible father. No doubt that he had good values that were instilled into his kids.

#4 Oct 29, 2021 7:58 pm

houston
Active

20170614-193459.jpg

#5 Oct 29, 2021 8:19 pm

houston
Active

20190914-104749.jpg

20190914-104744.jpg

#6 Oct 30, 2021 10:43 am

New Historian
Active

I saw a Spitfire flying overhead once, gave me chills. We must never forget, or underestimate, the immense struggles and contributions of that wartime generation. Growing up as a boomer in London, the shadows of war were everywhere. We were bomb-site brats. We’d play among the bomb-damaged buildings still scattered around London in the early sixties, rummaging through the debris, finding old newspapers, yellowed letters and broken dolls. We would make up stories as to what had become of their owners, always ending with: Boom!

Last edited by New Historian (Oct 30, 2021 10:44 am)

#7 Oct 30, 2021 6:03 pm

houston
Active

I can imagine there would have been a few craters for kids to play in.

http://bombsight.org/#15/51.5056/-0.0898

#8 Oct 30, 2021 6:25 pm

houston
Active

Some interesting photos.
I wonder how photo #1 would have been taken back then. Would that have been taken from a Reconnaissance aircraft or a Spitfire?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/15-power … -the-blitz

#9 Oct 30, 2021 8:09 pm

New Historian
Active

houston wrote:

Some interesting photos.
I wonder how photo #1 would have been taken back then. Would that have been taken from a Reconnaissance aircraft or a Spitfire?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/15-power … -the-blitz

Very moving pictures. Never forget.

#10 Oct 30, 2021 9:30 pm

houston
Active

An F-35. Flies straight up, straight down and upside down but way to noisy and not near as thrilling as hearing and seeing a Lancaster fly overhead.

20210905-132727.jpg

Board footer