You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Oct 28, 2021 10:04 am

Real Distwalker
Active

On my reading list...

I am about halfway through this book.  It is a fine read.  Well organized, very readable and seems factual to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JF … 6390684ab8

#2 Oct 28, 2021 10:30 am

New Historian
Active

Re: On my reading list...

Best book on the subject I've ever read - and I've read 'em all!

#3 Oct 28, 2021 11:46 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I agree. I have read most all of them as well and this one is the most enjoyable to read.  It reads like a novel which makes it more readable.  A few others had more detail but you can get lost and overwhelmed in that detail.

#4 Oct 28, 2021 11:50 am

New Historian
Active

On the military side of the "intervention/invasion" (lol), Mark Adkins' Urgent Fury takes the gold medal.

#5 Oct 28, 2021 12:01 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Adkin's book was the first I ever read on the topic.  I have read through it twice and referenced it dozens of times.

Unlike most US soldiers, however, I am most interested in what happened prior to 25 OCT 83.  I am fascinated by the tragedy and farce that was the history from Gairy to the RMC. 

It is amazing the way that the currents of history take hold of our lives and sweep us up so that a clueless kid from Iowa can find himself flying in the dark in a helicopter from Barbados to Grenada with a machinegun in his lap.  Here I was, flying toward Grenada and I had never heard of the NJM, Bishop, Coard or the Revo.  I needed to know what the fuck happened to get my dumb ass in that place and time.

#6 Oct 28, 2021 12:32 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It is interesting to compare this book to Coard's book.  In this book, Coard comes off as someone who cares about the Revolution but isn't above human emotions and self-interest.

Coard, in his book, however, comes off as perfect party member frustrated with the way things are going and only trying to do what is best for Grenada first and the party second but never himself.

Which version seems most likely?  Coard is a human with human emotions and foibles or he is a perfect saint worthy of canonization by St. Vladimir Lenin?

#7 Oct 28, 2021 2:12 pm

Dancer
Active

Reading the reviews and comments about the new book ,  (re -Grenada Revo )
I was struck  by the similarities  with the Repubs and members of the US Congress .

- Where the DONALD and others  in the Willard Hotel  - 'War room' and in DC , were planning the overthrow of the US 'elected' president.

What's the difference ?  'Somebody address'.   Pleaseeee.

> the overthrow of the US Govt  on Jan 6  by the plotters <  Men and Women with power on their minds <    sad.

Read and listen to the News people.
SMH.

Last edited by Dancer (Oct 28, 2021 2:16 pm)

#8 Oct 28, 2021 5:01 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

It is interesting to compare this book to Coard's book.  In this book, Coard comes off as someone who cares about the Revolution but isn't above human emotions and self-interest.

Coard, in his book, however, comes off as perfect party member frustrated with the way things are going and only trying to do what is best for Grenada first and the party second but never himself.

Which version seems most likely?  Coard is a human with human emotions and foibles or he is a perfect saint worthy of canonization by St. Vladimir Lenin?

Coard is a proven liar and self-server, claiming he was "sick" on the day in question. Yeah friggin right. He would never get my dollar for those 2 books full of lies. "Blame th dead for being dead".

#9 Oct 29, 2021 8:22 am

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

On the military side of the "intervention/invasion" (lol), Mark Adkins' Urgent Fury takes the gold medal.

All ah want to read now is Chris Deriggs new book.

#10 Nov 01, 2021 11:45 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I finished the book yesterday.   I gotta say, every damned time Bishop, Coard and the Central Committee hit a fork-in-the-road decision point, they made the wrong decision. 

Every.
Damned.
Time.

Should the CC trust Coard.  No, but they did.

Was joint leadership a good idea?  Hell no, but they went with it.

Should Bishop have gone radio silent while in Europe and Cuba?  No, but he did.

Should Bishop have started the rumor about Phyllis and Bernard Coard?  No, but he did.

Should they have put Bishop under house arrest?  No, but they did.

Should Bishop have gone to the fort, disarmed the police and armed civilians?  No, but he did.

Should the CC and Coard have sent troops to take back the fort? No, but they did.

Should they have ordered the execution of Bishop at al?  No, but they did.

It is as if the whole NJM was working for Reagan.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Nov 01, 2021 11:46 am)

Board footer