You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Nov 02, 2021 8:45 am

New Historian
Active

The Vocation

I never felt as holy as I did at my First Communion, aged ten. I wished I could die right then, ascend to Heaven and sitteth in the lap of Gawd Almighty. After that, it was pretty much downhill all the way. It wasn’t that you couldn’t get answers, you couldn’t even ask questions. In 1963, Pope John the Whatever had been on his deathbed for what seemed like years, but my question about how he could still be ‘infallible’, only earned me six of the best. Religious Knowledge consisted of memorizing hundreds of Catholic prayers and rituals, culminating in the never-ending Apostles’ Creed:

I believe in God,
The Father almighty,
Maker of heaven and earth
Maker of all things visible and invisible …

One day at St. Thomas’ RC School, Headmistress Mother Bon Secours, alias Bongo, enters the classroom.
“Which one a yous is having a vocation?”

Nobody spoke, nobody moved, nobody breathed. A vocation was every nun’s wet dream, and every boy’s worst nightmare: ‘The Calling’ to study for the priesthood. Each Catholic school had its quota, and Bongo was on a quota-filling mission.

She repeats, louder: “I said: which one a yous is having a vocation?”

This wasn’t good enough. She went walking down the aisle.

“Right then. You, you … and you, Blackie, come with me!”

That Blackie was me, so now I had a vocation, officially. The three of us unhappy vocationists had to suffer through extra Catechism and Latin classes, which ate into our playtime. No surprises then, that for the Samuel brothers, religion has been a non-factor all our lives.

#2 Nov 02, 2021 9:19 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: The Vocation

Catholicism drove me from faith, religion and Christianity at age 14.  I didn't find my way back until I was in my late 40s.  I found my way back to faith, not Catholicism.  Keep that poison away from me.

#3 Nov 02, 2021 12:06 pm

Dancer
Active

> Searching , searching     ........   and I am not even a biblical scholar .
" Hey Blackie  , we are going to give you a vocation " What a B . lo. ' "

Screwed you take of the world  and 'GOD' right up. smh , from the get-go. '

BUT .. admittance is the way to freedom and understanding , must have been a bitch . ..Lord !
Remember ,  reasonable people  could/would see clearly the steps to brainwashing control   , BUT  England  ??? Did Henry the eight not get rid of the Catholic church ?
SMH.
But have faith in the 'Supreme Being ' NH . You are not a totally twisted guy. '
LMAO.

........ thinking about joining a church dese days  NH  ? I notice a lot of  60 plus ,  boys and girls , 'seeing the light'
The world  just turns. ...lawd!

#4 Nov 02, 2021 12:09 pm

Dancer
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Catholicism drove me from faith, religion and Christianity at age 14.  I didn't find my way back until I was in my late 40s.  I found my way back to faith, not Catholicism.  Keep that poison away from me.

.......... Why put NH to shame ? Help him to see the light  , don'y you have 'online Sunday school classes ?

'lord have mercy' lol.

#5 Nov 02, 2021 1:39 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

NH isn't the kind of man who needs to be led anywhere.

#6 Nov 02, 2021 6:40 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

NH isn't the kind of man who needs to be led anywhere.

Least of all, into a place of worship. All respect to those who do, but I simply could not 'suspend rationality'.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

Denis Diderot

#7 Nov 02, 2021 7:48 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I don't really suspend rationality so much is maintain an open mind.  Physicists tell us that there are likely parallel universes that share the same space as that which we perceive.  They tell us that the foundation consciousness is still a mystery and that it has quantum aspects. In fact, they seriously contend that it cannot be proved that all of the cosmos isn't a simulation and that we are living in something like the Matrix.

In a world where science is telling us that sentience has quantum components and that infinite parallel universes exist and that they can't prove that reality isn't a projection, how can you be so sure that the quantum aspects of human consciousness can't endure after the body does not?

Maybe all the world's religions are just a dumbed down understanding of the quantum aspects of consciousness.

In any case, Jesus is a cool dude.  I like his style and following his way makes my life better. smile

#8 Nov 03, 2021 11:34 am

Dancer
Active

> Jesus is not a cool dude . <
'He is a 'activist' in thought.  .... * his (style)  preaching + sayings  an being makes lots of people lives better.*

* The Rebel *  he is .

Board footer