You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#11 Nov 03, 2021 1:03 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Books books books!

Dancer wrote:

You surprise me    .....  'sometimes'   ..... reading     ....   'to kill a mocking bird' .

I have read it at least three times in my life.

I only surprise you because you think that I a version of me you invented in your mind as opposed to who I really am.

#12 Nov 03, 2021 1:17 pm

New Historian
Active

Anyone ever read the Lord of the Rings trilogy? Dune? Read them in my 20s, could do with a re-read. PS the new Dune movie is very good.

#13 Nov 03, 2021 2:16 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Started to read the Hobbit once.  Was never really a science fiction or fantasy guy.  I read about everything Tom Clancy ever wrote.

Have you ever read "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett?  I have read it twice.  It is wonderful.

#14 Nov 03, 2021 6:49 pm

New Historian
Active

Yes, great long yarn, colourful depiction of history. Read the sequel too. Another great historical writer is Hilary Mantel, I've just started the last in the Tudor trilogy: unputdownable. The BBC series of Wolf Hall was great, although the critics (who listens to them?) criticized it as being, literally, too dark. But that's what it was like, no lights back then!

Board footer