You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#21 Nov 18, 2021 3:07 pm

Slice
Active

Re: YESTERDAY, WAS ONE OF THE FUN DAYS TO WATCH TV

houston wrote:

The Edmonton Eskimos of the CFL have become the Edmonton Elks and it just don't sound right after 100 years.
The Chicago Black Hawks have the best logo in the NHL but that classic logo won't be around for much longer, it's on the endangered list.
The Cleveland Indians of MLB have changed there name and logo to some other silly boring name starting next season.
Where does it end, when do we stop offending people?
Are the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame next on the list?

Exactly. Doh tink ah should add anymore.

#22 Nov 18, 2021 7:59 pm

houston
Active

I fully understand that the logo could be offensive to Native Americans and others, the club should have never gone with red colour but the Chief does look like he's raring to win a baseball game and ready to hit one out of the park. Certainly intimidating for an opposing pitcher to have to face.
It's a sport, the name of the game is to win but organizations these days really do need to be a bit more sensitive to all the frail feelings out there.
Not sure what the new logo will be next season but the Cleveland Guardians may as well be called the Cleveland Guardian Angels. On second thought, that might be offensive to the deeply religious.

#23 Nov 19, 2021 9:45 am

Real Distwalker
Active

When I was in school we were the HLV Warriors.  Never in my entire childhood did I think or hear that this was an offensive school mascot; least of all from the Native Americans I went to school with.  I get how the cartoon characters New Historian showcases are offensive but I sincerely see my old school "warrior" was nothing but admiration.  Our school emblem is still in use and is shown below.

9A3PJIx9.jpg

#24 Nov 19, 2021 9:50 am

Real Distwalker
Active

No, most of us weren't Indians but the next school over were the Trojans and on the other side Bears. 

The high school I went to were also 'warriors' but this was their emblem. We weren't Roman gladiators.

20181010220419-172-mascot300-Near.png

#25 Nov 19, 2021 9:54 am

Real Distwalker
Active

This is pretty damned funny...

Cfr5-Z4-UW4-AACJ5-V.jpg

Board footer