You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Nov 30, 2021 11:15 am

New Historian
Active

My introduction to the World Bank(enstein)!

On Monday 5 September, 1988, our first day in Washington DC, the whole family walked the short distance from our hotel to the World Bank offices, at 1818 H Street. As we rounded the last corner, what did we come face-to-face with? A massive anti Bank/IMF demonstration! With thousands of chanting protestors holding placards, police in riot gear, TV crews, helicopters, the works! It was the World Bank’s Annual Meetings, a Mecca for anti-globalization protesters the world over.

They were handing out comic books to the children, depicting a giant Frankenstein monster called Doktor World Bankenstein, eating babies and clutching starving farmers in its bony claw. Some adventurous protestors had unfurling a giant World Bankenstein poster down the entire side of a ten-storey building – a World Bank building at that. Zachary and Dylan looked at me, almost tearfully: “Daddy, what do you really do at work?”

Welcome to Washington – if only the kids had kept the comic!

World-Bankenstein.jpg

#2 Nov 30, 2021 11:22 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: My introduction to the World Bank(enstein)!

It is strange how politics flip-flop in the US.  In the 1980s, Democrats opposed globalization, made up most anti-vaxxers, claimed to support the working man, opposed foreign military adventures and was generally populist.

Today those are the positions of the MAGA populist right.   

Of course before the 1960s, Democrats were the racist party of segregation and the Republicans were the party of civil rights.  That flipped during the 1960s.

#3 Nov 30, 2021 11:26 am

New Historian
Active

"A week is a long time in politics." So imagine a decade!!

#4 Dec 13, 2021 6:38 pm

Dancer
Active

" Daddy , what do you really do at work  ? "
' Smart kid ,    ........  years later  ,
I was contemplating asking the same question . '
" I succumbed  , sad .
Lol.

#5 Dec 14, 2021 9:18 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

It is strange how politics flip-flop in the US.  In the 1980s, Democrats opposed globalization, made up most anti-vaxxers, claimed to support the working man, opposed foreign military adventures and was generally populist.

Today those are the positions of the MAGA populist right.   

Of course before the 1960s, Democrats were the racist party of segregation and the Republicans were the party of civil rights.  That flipped during the 1960s.

You so damn right.  Look ah was shocked to hear that Elijah Cummings and Mark Meadows. were best friends in Congress.  One know for sure he is not a racist, but what the hell happen to him?  The most powerful figure in this universe is the president of these USA, but not even him, can convince me to do what ah doh want to do.

Board footer