You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Dec 13, 2021 8:31 am

Slice
Active

THIS TIME OF THE YEAR

Growing up Grenada, this was my favorite time of the year.  At around now my mother use to send food barrel or box, for us when she was in Trinidad or America.  Those days you went and got the box or barrel almost free.  Not now you have to pay ah pound and ah crown for them now.

Then every day we had to go to post office to see, if there were any letters from abroad with some monies in it.  Hear me nah when ah reach the post office, Evening Ms. Netta any letter?  If she says yes, but it is registered, then ah have to walk from Windsor Forest to St David Central to collect our spending monies, for Xmas.

Once I collect that envelope and me grandmuma have it, she is going straight to the store to buy ah Salt ham.  Right about now the ham start soaking.

As Sparrow say, school days was happy, happy days.  Was it?

#2 Dec 13, 2021 6:26 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: THIS TIME OF THE YEAR

'Way to go Slice ;  Express yourself . Good one .'
Tatoes better watch out , where ever he be . lol .

.....My old man had a girl friend ( I guessing ... lo ) who went to England and would sent  a box of toys and candies at Xmas for (her rival kids).
Lord ! Slice , I just remembered that woman .
SMH... I never knew her name , but I bet  my old -lady did. lol

Good one.

#3 Dec 13, 2021 7:38 pm

houston
Active

Many memories of packing up an empty jumbo barrel delivered by PJP.
Would take about a month to load up with goods, similar to a Christmas stocking, then the big strong lads would arrive to send it on it's journey south. Land to Miami and ship to Grenada.
I would question the security of the barrel but the boys would assure safe delivery and twist a piece of coat hanger wire around the clasp. That always gave me a sense of reassurance.
About a month later I would receive a call informing me that the barrel had been collected in good hands.
I think on that end that there were important charges depending on the estimated value so the pricey stuff was packed strategically with lots non perishables on top.

#4 Dec 14, 2021 9:09 am

Slice
Active

Dancer wrote:

'Way to go Slice ;  Express yourself . Good one .'
Tatoes better watch out , where ever he be . lol .

.....My old man had a girl friend ( I guessing ... lo ) who went to England and would sent  a box of toys and candies at Xmas for (her rival kids).
Lord ! Slice , I just remembered that woman .
SMH... I never knew her name , but I bet  my old -lady did. lol

Good one.

OHHO, you got h jolt back to you younger days.  Around now is or was my favorite time of the year.  Allyu does like to forget allyu past too quickly.  Your past is who you are right now.

#5 Dec 14, 2021 9:13 am

Slice
Active

houston wrote:

Would take about a month to load up with goods, similar to a Christmas stocking, then the big strong lads would arrive to send it on it's journey south. Land to Miami and ship to Grenada.
I would question the security of the barrel but the boys would assure safe delivery and twist a piece of coat hanger wire around the clasp. That always gave me a sense of reassurance.
About a month later I would receive a call informing me that the barrel had been collected in good hands.
I think on that end that there were important charges depending on the estimated value so the pricey stuff was packed strategically with lots non perishables on top.

Barrel is the thing now.  If you go to docks now, you might be so surprised about the number of barrels waiting to be picked up.  If I remember correctly, there are two warehouses filled with barrels.

#6 Dec 14, 2021 9:28 am

Slice
Active

Slice wrote:
houston wrote:

Barrel is the thing now.  If you go to docks now, you might be so surprised about the number of barrels waiting to be picked up.  If I remember correctly, there are two warehouses filled with barrels.

Then as far as the salt ham goes, I just eat that now.  Over 10 years ago I won a bet with RD.  He sent me something from Iowa, and that was an Iowa Ham.  From that day onwards That Iowa ham has always been the ham on my table for Xmas.  Not only that, everyone one of my family and also wife family, has been buying that ham from Iowa.

I posted my brother-in-law ham to him about ah week ago in Cayman Island.

#7 Dec 14, 2021 2:41 pm

Dancer
Active

...  Speaking of the Iowa Ham.

The Patriot is having a tough  year , country , having hard times .
The  Iowa ham story is going to lift his spirits ,  Slice  spreading the  Iowa ham far and wide. ....
what the heck ,  a Xmas gift for RD.
A Xmas miracle : 
spreading love with an
Iowa ham   ... at Xmas.
smh.
Miracles happen.
Yep!

#8 Dec 15, 2021 11:00 am

Slice
Active

This is not my first time sharing this story.  Yes Iowa makes the best ham. Not just RD say so, but ah have an in-law practicing medicine in that state who swears by Iowa pigs also.

Board footer