You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Dec 17, 2021 11:43 am

New Historian
Active

First landing in Africa

As the BA jumbo began its gradual descent into Harare International Airport, I awoke from a pleasant sleep and ate breakfast while watching Africa slowly take shape. Fascinating. As we got lower I could make out long dusty roads, thatched circular rondavels clustered in small villages, baobob trees and outcrops of the “balancing rocks” that are a striking geographical feature of the southern Africa highveld. As I was driving away from the airport the taxi driver turned around and asked:

“First visit to Africa?” It was that obvious.

“Yes,” I replied.

“Welcome home, sir!” I grinned from ear to ear. The guy was a natural marketer.

#2 Dec 19, 2021 8:50 am

Slice
Active

Re: First landing in Africa

I am rethinking everything I was thought growing up.  One of my fore parent was from Africa, the other from Europe.  As I experience life, I now know the only thing I have in common with Africans in Africa is the color of my skin.  The only think I have in common with Africans American is also my skin color.

I only feel comfortable around whites and folks from the English-speaking Caribbean, with the exception of Jamaica.  There are plenty exception from Jamaica who came into my life, so ah not putting all Jamaicans in one basket, but the majority.

My problem with most Jamaicans is they do not recognize me as ah small island person.  I also hated Trinidians for the very same reason.  Now the best relationship in the entire Caribbean is between Grenada and Trinidad.

Some 20 years ago two brains, both professors at universities, made this bold statement asking Caribbean folks to rethink their heritage.  Acklyn Lynch from Trinidad, was a highly regarded professor at Howard University and a Jamaican Professor who was at UWI.  They both said we Caribbean folks are very different.  We are not Africans, we are everything.

So who am I?

#3 Dec 19, 2021 12:02 pm

New Historian
Active

Slice wrote:

I am rethinking everything I was thought growing up.  One of my fore parent was from Africa, the other from Europe.  As I experience life, I now know the only thing I have in common with Africans in Africa is the color of my skin.  The only think I have in common with Africans American is also my skin color.

I only feel comfortable around whites and folks from the English-speaking Caribbean, with the exception of Jamaica.  There are plenty exception from Jamaica who came into my life, so ah not putting all Jamaicans in one basket, but the majority.

My problem with most Jamaicans is they do not recognize me as ah small island person.  I also hated Trinidians for the very same reason.  Now the best relationship in the entire Caribbean is between Grenada and Trinidad.

Some 20 years ago two brains, both professors at universities, made this bold statement asking Caribbean folks to rethink their heritage.  Acklyn Lynch from Trinidad, was a highly regarded professor at Howard University and a Jamaican Professor who was at UWI.  They both said we Caribbean folks are very different.  We are not Africans, we are everything.

So who am I?

Nicely put. And whereas we are very different from Africans, in a lot of ways we are the same. I felt it most in Ghana: the food, music, mannerisms - and even children's stories (Anancy) are the same.

#4 Dec 19, 2021 1:28 pm

Dancer
Active

Snowfall ;   shoveling and salting . 'cold morning exercise '. Lo.

Lemme check 'spice'.

Slice   -   Something   just don't jive in your narrative. For I am as confused as you are .
WHY ?
Your roots just confused the balls out of me . Lo.
" Clear this up for me ."
Sorry to drag NH into this , but .....

Slice NH is up-front . Pics of him in his straw hat , all over the place.  smh.
* So I know what he looks like
* you posted a pic of you  before ..  Man NH is a white man compared to you. Lol.

> not that ,  there is anything to worry about. !  (your pic , that is )
" I am so confused."
lmao.

#5 Dec 19, 2021 6:47 pm

New Historian
Active

"Man NH is a white man"

Is oo de blood claat yuh a call white? Yuh renk an' outta orda, me's a BLACK man! Well, black-ish... Is like Tosh did sing:

Don't care if yuh high
Don't care if yuh low
Don't care if yuh in between
You're an African!

LOL

Be-afraid.jpg

#6 Dec 21, 2021 10:53 am

Dancer
Active

Yesterday  I  picked up a real (Jamaican ) Caribbean  ham.      ..... People  ..  Xmas shopping.
In this Caribbean/Ethnic store  .....  'the real deal' .
Double Smoked they said , with mesh covering the ham.     Authentic .
Bare Jamaican  English , I could hear  -- here too.
Blouse and skirts. Lol.

...... be very afraid..... 'got that right'   Stephen King wants you.

Last edited by Dancer (Dec 21, 2021 11:25 am)

#7 Dec 22, 2021 10:45 am

Slice
Active

Dancer wrote:

Snowfall ;   shoveling and salting . 'cold morning exercise '. Lo.

Lemme check 'spice'.

Slice   -   Something   just don't jive in your narrative. For I am as confused as you are .
WHY ?
Your roots just confused the balls out of me . Lo.
" Clear this up for me ."
Sorry to drag NH into this , but .....

Slice NH is up-front . Pics of him in his straw hat , all over the place.  smh.
* So I know what he looks like
* you posted a pic of you  before ..  Man NH is a white man compared to you. Lol.

> not that ,  there is anything to worry about. !  (your pic , that is )
" I am so confused."
lmao.

Well NH is out in the open, so ah ent saying anything he doh want me to say.  If not for the Sun burn, NH is ah white man.  You got to realize doh that he is ah world traveler, am sure he understands these issues much much better than me.  NH lived and breath, the confusion.

Most folks disagree with my thinking, but in all honesty, our culture is closer to White Americans, than Africans Americans.

Yes Dancer my skin tone is Brown or black. somewhere in there.

Board footer