You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Dec 30, 2021 6:39 pm

houston
Active

Long stories for the bookies

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo 1862. With 365 chapters it is one of the longest novels ever written and would keep any reader occupied for a lot longer than I could stand. I opted for watching the mini series on CBC last winter. Fascinating story it was. Great acting and never ending drama that revolves around a character named Jean Valjean during the Napoleon years. Captivating story with rarely a dull moment.
Highly recommend watching the 4 parts of 2 hour instalments unless you have about 3 years to read the book.
Les Miserables was a big hit at the theatres for several years but I don't understand how such a long story could be told in the span of a 2 hour play.

#2 Dec 30, 2021 6:55 pm

houston
Active

Re: Long stories for the bookies

The Arctic Grail,
The Quest for the Northwest Passage and the North Pole.
Pierre Burton 2001.

This one is about the search for a shipping route from the west to the east. Not so interesting for most but the cold and icy arctic region has become a hotly contested area during the past 20 years as global warming exposes more access to the many resources hidden beneath.
My favourite story of the Arctic is of the failed Franklin expedition. Can't imagine being an explorer up there, in those days.

#3 Dec 30, 2021 7:04 pm

houston
Active

Sorry for the error. That quest for a shipping route was from the east to the west, directionaly speaking.

#4 Dec 31, 2021 12:46 am

houston
Active

The Panama Canal was a wonderful feat of engineering for trade routes. The Northwest Passage was an entirely different story of brave people risking life to find a short route from Northern Europe to South Asia.
To this day it is an important passage. With the opening of the waters there will no doubt be a lot more sea traffic.
Stay tuned said the Inuit seal hunter. Big boats passing through.

#5 Dec 31, 2021 5:58 pm

houston
Active

Arctic Haulers is an interesting program. Haven't seen it for a while so I'm not sure if it still airs.
It's about the ships that race against time and ice to deliver the much needed supplies to the remote northern communities. The sea lift runs through the summer months until maybe September at the latest. Many of those communities only get one delivery per year.
I often wonder about the freshness of fruits and vegetables up there.

https://www.cbc.ca/television/higharcti … -1.5365100

#6 Dec 31, 2021 6:34 pm

New Historian
Active

https://www.amazon.com/Over-Edge-World- … 006093638X

Great book about Magellen's voyage, the first person to complete a "circumnavigation" of the world - although he himself didn't complete it. Like all of them, he was a real c*nt.

#7 Dec 31, 2021 7:00 pm

houston
Active

Looks interesting, though I take it you are not a fan of Magellen.
Stories do tend to change over a span of 600 years. Wasn't the earth flat back then?

#8 Dec 31, 2021 7:18 pm

New Historian
Active

Lol no competent sailor believed that for a second, the horizon proved the earth's roundness every day! Who (today) could ever be a fan of those "icons" of the dim and dismal past? They called it the Dark Ages for a good reason, life was "harsh, brutish, and short". Rich and powerful treated the poor and powerless worse than dogs. But yeah, a great read, based on diaries of people on the voyage. Of course, Magellen treated the Indians he encountered along the way like shit. Well that came back to bite him: karma is a bitch, bitch. History, ah does love it!

Board footer