You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#11 Jan 03, 2022 8:25 pm

houston
Active

Re: WELL AH SLEEP PAST THE START OF 2022.

Slice wrote:

It is now my belief, that Canada is ah little Russia. I think the government of Canada is giving to many handouts to it's citizens, with making them earn it.

Now thing are very expensive here in the US, but we are making it.  A gallon of gas high grade at Costco, is $3.19.  At regular pumps is $4.19.

I just believe that folks should work hard to make ah money. I do not believe in Handouts.  I think all government should give folks tools to prosper, but no handouts.

Interesting narrative from a former journalist of the CBC.
She packed it in after 10 years due to the muzzle environment. Anyone in that profession needs to be free to speak loudly.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/tara-h … it-the-cbc

#12 Jan 04, 2022 11:06 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Houston there is a truth in economics and, really, everything else in life.  I will share it with you: There are no solutions to anything.  Only trade-offs.

#13 Jan 04, 2022 11:08 am

Real Distwalker
Active

If you raise minimum wage some people will get raises paid for by others losing their jobs.  Maybe it's worth it.  But no one should delude themselves that there is no trade-off.  There is always a trade-off.

#14 Jan 04, 2022 8:13 pm

houston
Active

I have no problem with any hard working person earning a decent wage to pay for the high cost of living, no matter what their skills or level of education. Anyone willing to get up and go to work should be fairly compensated. But like you say, it's a trade off when the private sector becomes responsible for fair increases.
Wouldn't it be a win win for all if the government, with all those collected tax dollars would subsidise those extra few dollars of a pay increase. The owner doesn't get stung, the customer doesn't get stung and the employee goes home with a few extra dollars to circulate back into the economy after paying the bill of living and more taxes.
This is something that's always bewildered me. It is has nothing to do with communism, it's simply about paying a fair and survivable wage.

#15 Jan 04, 2022 8:58 pm

houston
Active

I and a lot of others certainly think that the current system has gotten out of hand. Civil servants need to align more with the private sector. They need to come back to Earth and rethink thier ridiculous pensions for the little time served and few hours actually spent on the job.

#16 Jan 04, 2022 10:59 pm

houston
Active

An eye opener during this pandemic is how every little demeanial job is considered to be non essential. We depend so much on the important tasks of the little things done for us on a daily basis yet wine and cry when those jobs are shut down.
Can we do without the spoiled pampering we have become accustomed to?

#17 Jan 05, 2022 2:14 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

houston wrote:

Wouldn't it be a win win for all if the government, with all those collected tax dollars would subsidise those extra few dollars of a pay increase.

Let's say that the minimum wage is $10 and the government would subsidize to get everyone to at least $13.  What would be the outcome?

1) Nobody would pay anyone $13 for a job worth $13.  They'd pay $10 and let the government subsidize it.  This would be a subsidy to business, not employees.  Now the business can pay $10 for what would have cost them $13 to get.  It would be a huge gift to businesses.

2) Those currently getting $10 would get a boost to $13.  But they were only employees that were worth $10.  Now businesses can get employees worth $13 for only $10.  The people only worth $10 will likely lose their jobs over time.

3) The effect would be that the government would be subsidizing business plans that can only afford to hire low skilled people.  What happens when you subsidize something?  You get more of it.  This would create more low paying jobs at the expense of better paying jobs.

4) People currently making $13 are going to be pissed when Johnny-come-lately employees get a boost to the same pay they get.  They will demand subsidies too and will be angry that their tax dollars are being transferred to employees that aren't as skilled as they are.  This would be a massive transfer of wealth from working people.

You can't short circuit the market without paying the piper.  Many have tried; all have failed.

#18 Jan 05, 2022 5:41 pm

houston
Active

All good points that I hadn't thought of.
Again, it all circles back to a livable wage that can cover the basics of housing and food. We all need to earn our keep somehow but what's the purpose of going to a job that doesn't pay the rent? No wonder so many turn to the Dole and we know who pays for that system.
Tough issues to solve, though currently employers are desperate for help and offering signing bonuses like never before. Hard to figure where things are heading.

#19 Jan 06, 2022 3:11 pm

Slice
Active

houston wrote:

Math has never been my strong subject but I'm beginning to wonder about these economics wizards.
Gas here was $0,85/litre not long ago.
On Sunday the minimum wage for restaurant and bar staff increased from $12.35/hr to $15/hr. Just what a small business owner needed during these difficult times. That means an increase in prices and fewer customers when a breakfast for 4 costs about $85's, $3 cup of coffee all in.
I'm glad I learned how to toast bread and boil an egg at an early age

But they did say here in America, these companies profit margins has never been higher.  So paying a bit higher price for wages, ent doing a thing to their profits.

Board footer