You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Feb 23, 2022 6:02 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

We are not "British Subjects," but West Indians!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvh-hALe5kM

The United States which had been a colony of Great Britain fought and won their independence in 1783. They no longer looked at Great Britain as their Mother Land. Why should we-- her former black subjects who have been treated badly by the colonizer. America never looked back but we are still daydreaming about an illusion that never fought for our rights as decent citizens. So many Caribbean blacks, who could have made a large impact on British society were ignored or abused. There could be no apologies to take back the pain. The queen is now ill with COVID-19 and her end might be rather near, but we must NEVER think of her as our queen for she never raised a voice in our favor.

#2 Mar 02, 2022 3:44 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: We are not "British Subjects," but West Indians!

Barbara Blake Hannah .
West Indian women are just hard seeds.

We need more Black women in seats of Power.

#3 Mar 02, 2022 6:48 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

But didn't you find her story interesting? We grew up in different eras of Jamaican history. By the time I came along, being black was beautiful. By the way Dancer, did you like the short story? Please buy Sargasso and read "A Crack in the Well." It's about a suicide and the rise of the labor union.

#4 Mar 03, 2022 10:51 am

Slice
Active

WSS, I think once we politicians stop thiefing we monies and invest it in people, when we can rid ourselves of England.

Honestly, I hope we always have some kinda connection to England.  I hope we never ever get to be a Republic.

The Caribbean do not have an army, that can fight anyone. So, let's say Russia decides to take Grenada, we ent have to worry, because England is our protector.

Will America allow that to happen ah doh tink so, but two is better than one.

Honestly ah hate Caribbean politics.  Every Politician in the English-speaking Caribbean are thieves.  One of the reasons I love American politics is there is great chance you end up in prison if you take ah bribe or thief the people's monies.

#5 Mar 03, 2022 7:07 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Yes, we are a corrupt society. We are very unskilled in creating and executing the law. We need good and moral lawyers. And we cannot accomplish this because we are primarily an illiterate society. Only a small percentage of our people are educated. Our best people live abroad.

#6 Mar 04, 2022 10:13 am

Slice
Active

No disagreement here WSS. The brains left, because of government lack of a plan. I think the most progressive government in the English-Speaking Caribbean might be Barbados.  It would be very interesting to see what percentage of the Bajan population migrate.

Board footer